help with preop diet

4garringer
on 5/2/11 11:43 pm
I will be getting my surgery date today!!  FINALLY!!!   However I was needing tips on the preop diet.   I have already beed doing protein shakes every day.  Have started decreasing portion sizes...but am having a hard tie with the no carb thing.   Can anyone give me some protein meal and snack ideas that help them.   THanks.   
KrisJ77
on 5/3/11 1:18 am - TX
My surgeon gave me a list of what I could have 2 weeks prior to surgery.....I remember soup, sugar jello and sugar free pudding......it's really hard and I had to do it for 2 weeks!! Just stay focused on the goal!! 

KrisJ77
on 5/3/11 1:18 am - TX
oops - sugar free jello

vacationlover
on 5/3/11 1:24 am
Carmelita
on 5/3/11 2:06 am, edited 5/3/11 2:11 am - Four Corners, NM
WOOHOO!! WTG on that approval!! Would be great to welcome YOU OFFICIALLY to the LOSER's BENCH!!

Once ya get the VSG RULES down...yer gonna ROCK THAT SLEEVE.

Basic principles are.. ALL FOOD is COMPRISED OF FAT, PROTEIN, and CARBOHYDRATES

Fat, protein...don't cause us/keep us fat (adipose fat... not food fats)

ALL
CARBS=SUGAR...Our bodies use carbs/sugar to convert and store ADIPOSE FAT..causes our weight loss to SLOW DOWN..or gain weight...PERIOD..... IF we overdo them!

The taste for SWEET/CARBS is innate!! mama's breast milk, formula...we spend most of our adult and OBESE lives fightin that SUGAR!! CARBS make you CRAVE CARBS..since BIRTH!
at least we can RE-LEARN and LIMIT THEM now...keepin em down to acceptable levels where we're more healthy RIGHT!

VSG certainly gives us that EDGE to GET IT RIGHT ...and KEEP IT OFF...does this mean you can never ever have pie, birthday cake, candy bars, soda, beer.....oh hell no!! ..but we gotta get on that protein track as soon as possible ...before all them carbs catch up! overdoing carbs one day takes ~48 hours to process. Keep up HIGH carbs...and ya never get outta the rut.

Here's some LO-CARB websites, meal recipes, snack ideas etc...that may help you on yer way...
Lo Carb recipe/menu/food planning ideas inc:
http://www.atkins.com/Recipes.aspx?searchmode=all Atkins
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html Linda'sLoCarb
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ Eggface

Also below my NOTES on some snacks Ive used in the past n present might help too!

SNACKS: *look for sugar free, low sugar, no sugar added, lo carb, lo cal "lite", in own juice counterparts (on the label) to some of following items: They're out there more & more now since Atkins! Pay attention to serving size! Some examples:

*graham crackers

*yogurt

*canned fruit/fruit cups

*applesauce

*pudding

*ice cream, sherberts, sorbets, popsicles, fudgesicles, snow cones

*peanut butter (natural is lower carb on apple slices yumola!)

ALSO:

vegetable sticks (carrot,celery, cucumber, zuccs etc) w/ lo-cal ranch or greek yogurt dip

whole fruits, apples, berries, avocados

popcorn AIR POPPED best

chicharonnes/pork rinds (glycine )

Protein based:

turkey or beef salmon jerky

slim jims (pepperoni sticks)

salmon & cream cheese whole grain crackers (make cracker sandwiches)

cream cheese/whole grain english muffin or bagel

cheese & whole grain crackers

nuts (almonds, walnuts, pisctachios, sunflower, roasted edamame/soynuts) watch amount can overdo it!

greek yogurt (add crushed pineapple sweeten with splenda or truvia yum!)

hummus on whole grain crackers, pita or lo carb toast

string cheese

laughing cow cheese

baby bell chesse

protein bars LO CARB! atkins are delish!

boiled eggs

tuna

sardines

canned chicken

Carbmasters yogurt...ralphs, smiths, kroger stores XLNT! HIGHLY recc. as dessert add to protein shake to thicken, keep full longer and satisfied

4garringer
on 5/3/11 2:26 am
WOW...Thanks a ton!!  The information you have given me is aweseom!!!   I will utilize it.  My date is scheduled for May 26th.  Can't wait.

Carmelita
on 5/3/11 3:52 am - Four Corners, NM
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views