Can eat WAY more than I expected. Whaaaaa!

buxom_blossom
on 5/5/11 12:24 pm
VSG on 04/12/11 with
Ok so I've been on clear liquids for the first three weeks and this week I've started introducing soft foods.  

Yesterday I was able to eat 1/2 an individual comtainer of greek yogurt then for supper I had an entire scrambled egg and about 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.  I'm just guessing because it was room service so I didn't measure. 

Today for supper I had a small jamba juice (when I entered it into myfitnesspal.com - wholly crap carbs!).  Around 8:30 I was in my hotel room feeling a little "hungry" - it was head hunger because I was bored but I caved.  So I walked to a Rite Aid and bought a little low-fat yogurt and a dove chocolate bar. 

So this evening I ate 1/2 the yogurt and sucked on the ENTIRE chocolate bar.  I feel super ashamed and have a huge fear of failure right now. 

In total today I've had 1,223 calories - 134 carbs - 77 grams protein. 

I DO not want to get off track so early out.  I'm flying home tomorrow and committed to getting back on track.  All other days I've been eating 600-800 cal - under 40 carbs - at least 90 g protein. 

I'm I able to eat a lot more than you were able to @ 3.5 weeks?  What soft pureed foods really filled you up? 

This is definetly going to be a diet to drop the pounds.  All you vets are absolutely right when you say that this is just a tool, I've learned how slippery a slope it is today. 

I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

emelar
on 5/5/11 12:28 pm - TX
Pureed/soft foods go down a lot easier, empty out of your stomach faster, so, yes, you can eat more.

You had a bad day.  Staying on plan while traveling is a *****  But get back on the wagon right now and move forward.  And start taking a "travel pack" of sleeve-friendly snacks with you when you travel!
Kim_M
on 5/5/11 12:33 pm - LaPorte, TX
I thought this won't work for me about the same time frame you are.But when u start eating dense protien all then you will see.I went to breakfest with a friend we shared an omelete i ate abouta1inch wide 2inch long and i was done lol you will get there!!!

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
Elaine2
on 5/5/11 12:38 pm - Atlanta, GA
So don't beat yourself up. Next time traveling just do better pre planning.
This site has some travel size items that might help you.
http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx

Get back on track...your home numbers look great as long as you're getting in your fluids.

Good luck.

USAF Wife
on 5/5/11 12:45 pm
Think of your stomach like the drain in your kitchen sink; dump clear liquids down; they run right through, drop half a container of that yogurt in the drain, it's going to "seep" through slower, but it still goes right through, you sucked on the chocolate(might as well be spit),(the jamba juice is nothing but thick liquids), now take some meat(even softer proteins like fish/scallops) even with a little sauce/condiment/food lube on it, and dump it in the sink, what's going to happen? That meat is going to sit there until it works it's way down by the liquids seeping through first, then you're going to have to mu**** down (the stomach doing it's job of mushing food on top of you chewing it to mush). That's pretty much how the sleeve works.

So moral of the story is, right now, thick liquids are going to slide through, more dense protein packed foods will stick with you longer. I know traveling throws a big kink in the program, and don't beat yourself over it. Recognize it(you already did) and move forward.

To this day at 23 months out, I live by this thought process of "just because I can; doesn't mean I should". I can eat ****pots, and I mean ****pots of chips, cookies, Little Debbie Strawberry shortcake rolls, but I don't do it because I'm not willing to trade in my size 2 super skinny jeans for those 24W stretchy denim I wore 2 years ago.

Pureed chili, chicken/tuna/egg salads, greek yogurt with sf flavorings/pudding powders, Hard boiled eggs, refried beans with greek yogurt, string cheese were my staples.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

buxom_blossom
on 5/5/11 12:51 pm
VSG on 04/12/11 with
 Thanks everyone for the support!  I seriously could not do this without the guidance and support of this board. 

@ USAF Wife - the drain is a great metaphor and your philosophy is one that I'm going to adopt.   
I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

Akings
on 5/5/11 2:48 pm - san antonio, TX
 I have my surgery on 5/18 and like you appreciate any and all support. You splurged but will get back on track and feel really good no matter what. Stay positive! Have a great trip home! I'm struggling with my day 2 of pre-op diet...hoping for the best!
PK130
on 5/5/11 2:46 pm - Dallas, TX
VSG on 03/01/11 with
I'm on to solid foods but I STILL feel that way. Not that I'm eating a ton, obviously - plus I weigh/measure my food so that I know I'm staying within the guidelines. But - I DEFINITELY do not have that whole 'take a few bites and I'm stuffed' feeling that I see many people here talking about. I will say, I did notice that the one time I ate the dense protein a little quicker and with a bit bigger bites, I felt full much faster. But when I follow their instructions (eat slow, small bites, chew like crazy) I feel like I can eat a pretty decent amount. It sort of worries me but I am following their guidelines.

Any chance you asked Nicholson what size bougie he used/uses?
amytang81
on 5/5/11 10:02 pm
VSG on 07/28/10 with
Dr Nick normally uses a 36f or that is what he told me.
(deactivated member)
on 5/16/11 7:34 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

I am not/wasnt ever a few bites and I am stuffed gal either, but I eat measured portions when I am at home, so I figure, it is what it is, not good, not bad, just the way I am and the way I got to where I wanted to be and have stayed at goal for a year and a half without having to go thru periods of freak out and cut way back or whatever is just keeping on being a steady measuring gal.

I get not everybody cares to do it, but its worth my peace of mind, and Jayzus, I have enough to freak out about that I *cant* control, no point in doing it about pounds and food that I *can* control

Least, that is what makes sense to me.  :}

And I just eat at my regular speed.  I dont take the 20 minutes or whatever, cuz Surely I could pack more in there over time!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views