Couple of nutrition questions

SpiceyMom
on 5/9/11 3:51 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
Well, sort of. What do you mix with your protein shakes, milk or water? Or something else? Which leads me to my next question...what is a good daily carb intake?

I'm just in the full liquids phase and I have been tracking my intake on my fitness pal so I can tell you I'm staying between 600-700 calories, 30-35 grams of carbs, 65-70 grams of protein. I'm definitely getting all my fluids in.

I guess my concern is that perhaps I should be trying for lower carbs and higher protein and one way to do that would be reducing or eliminating milk in my protein shakes. Or leave it be.

Thanks for any insight!
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
emelar
on 5/9/11 3:58 am - TX
When I was in liquids, all I worried about was getting enough liquid in and getting the protein in.  I figured that was enough to worry about at the beginning, and that was my dietitian's instruction as well.

I started kinda looking at other things, like carbs, when I moved to "soft" foods, and really got serious about it when I graduated to regular food. 

I'd say that what you're doing is great.  I didn't use the protein powders much (preferred the RTD Premier shakes), but the only way I could stand the taste of any of them was in milk.  If you want to cut back on the carbs in milk, use a half milk, half water combo and see if you can still tolerate the taste.
felicity2u
on 5/9/11 4:05 am - LA
I agree with Emelar, at the phase that you are at right now, carbs are essential into your healing.  They help the body to recover and that it the most important thing you can do for yourself right now.  That range of carbs you are in now is a good range to be in and wouldn't worry about them while you so soon out of surgery.  Just focus on the liquids and staying hydrated and worry about the carbs later after you have healed.  Keep up the great work!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

SpiceyMom
on 5/9/11 4:14 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
Thanks, ladies!! Just didn't want to go crazy with the carbs!
Carmelita
on 5/9/11 4:15 am - Four Corners, NM
post op...sweet was too sweet, salty too salty for me...it made me gag to have protein shakes w/ 1% or skim...just too fricken sweet (lactase) for me.  I ALWAYS have had to mix with water  until just very recently have I found I can tolerate my shakes w/ milk.  There's that damn "tolerate" word..*******FLASHBACK ALERT*****

My NUT emblazoned TOLERATION OF A FOOD DOES NOT MAKE IT A GOOD CHOICE on my dietary guidelines manual with a sharpie ...couldn't use a pencil could she!!
its now emblazoned in my BRAIN...damn NUTS!! lmao

That milk does bump up the protein count a bit...It is strictly a preference deal.

At yer stage of the game....yer lookin pretty dang good! cals/carbs/protein.

On the full protein based liquids, can also look into BLENDERIZED bean soups for some variety

I THINK YOU ARE AHEAD OF GAME tho....LET IT BE! 

Heads up to 3 week stall...hopefully ya measured yerself and are recordin em!!!
More on Stalls n Plateaus...what to expect.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/stalls+ and+plateaus/
SpiceyMom
on 5/9/11 4:40 am
VSG on 04/28/11 with
I have been measuring my inches and good thing! I've lost 5 in my waist alone! Have lost about 8 pounds since surgery, too. I have to think I might have lost more if I had not lost 14 in my week of preop dieting. Who knows!

I'll have to check out the coconut milk. I heart coconut!
buxom_blossom
on 5/9/11 4:22 am
VSG on 04/12/11 with
 I'm at a similar stage as you and found that using milk in my shakes was really making my carbs higher than I wanted.  

So I've been using 1/2 water and 1/2 unsweetened coconut milk (So Delicious brand: 1c = 45 cal; 5g fat; 1g carb).

I also add a 1/2 scoop of unflavoured carb-free protien powder to get the protien that I'm missing from removing the milk from my shakes. 
I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

MomtoAndy
on 5/9/11 5:49 am - Columbia, SC
I mix the chocolate protein powder with coffee (22 oz), a teaspoon of splenda, and a tiny amount of skim milk.  I drink this every every morning.

Good luck!

Margo N.
on 5/9/11 7:36 am
I use unsweetened almond milk - low carb and 40 calories a cup.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 88 views