What size are you...strange question?

cleckman
on 5/11/11 12:42 pm
Yeah, if I got a tatoo on my butt I could just pull down my pants to show them my new size
HW 298.8 Surgery W 242.5 CW 152 GW 164Surgery Date 10/25/10!!!                   

karoola
on 5/10/11 5:59 pm
VSG on 10/01/10 with
I guess, for me, it all depends on who is doing the asking. I have not shared my surgery with everyone in my life.  The closer the friendship, the more personal the answer.  People I am not close with get a generic answer..  something like it depends on the item..  Close friends get a more customized answer depending on who they are..  I am proud of my weight loss, but I don't think everyone needs to know how I am doing it.

Overall it doesn't bother me a lot. I didn't realize how large I had gotten. I felt like I was a 20, not a 30. My mind hid those 10 extra sizes from me. I am guilty of asking people their size... (friends only)  I have no idea what sizes look like.. I've asked a few friends of similar height and build what size they are so I can compare them to how I look.  I'm a 16/18 now and want to be about 160 pounds and that would put me about a size 8/10. In my asking, I have an image in my mind of how I will look or think I want to look.

Some people are just not born with common sense or social grace. Thankfully those type people are not my "friends" so I don't feel I have to answer to them in any way.  Not a lot happens anymore that really shocks me.  Reality TV had made it seem like we should all "want" to hang out our laundry for all to see. Screw that.  To each his/her own.

I am going to use your "new outfit" line on someone.. It is priceless.

Liquid Diet       : 330 Day of Surgery : 302 - my scale Goal                   : 160
cleckman
on 5/11/11 12:45 pm
I agree, not everyone has the social grace to know wht to ask or when to ask it. I do share it with everyone that I want to know or if someone seems really interested in becoming healthier too.

Good luck with your weight loss!
Cathy

Babynesh05
on 5/10/11 6:09 pm - Germany
 BAHAHA I have a couple of people ask me my size.. most people just comment on how skinny ive gotten or how good I look.. some of the comments get embarassing.. especially when women come up to me and touch my sides..

GW 1: 200 COMPLETED! 193-Feb 15th 2011
GW 2: 160 COMPLETED! 160-May 12th 2011
GW 3: 140 COMPLETED! 140-June 17th 2011
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

cleckman
on 5/11/11 12:46 pm
Yes, I've had this happen too and it's weird!

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/11 8:26 pm
I think a lot of people regard me as a monkey at a zoo or animal at a petting zoo. They say/do some amazingly stupid stuff.  But generally stuff like that is harmless, they want to know for themselves or someone else they think could benefit more often than not.

I will share a bit more about my history than most because I honestly don't care.  Obviously we're all different in that regard.  Just remember you're not obligated for anything.  Really awesome response by the way, I will have to use that...but I would add the brand names you're partial to lol.

"I'm down to a 38 waist and L in most shirts, I also prefer Ralph Lauren Polo or Nautica if you want to make a donation".  lmao  That will work.
cleckman
on 5/11/11 12:47 pm
Yes, I will take your suggestion...I'll have to start of list of high priced designer!

Thanks! Cathy

johnbertak
on 5/10/11 9:16 pm - MD
I'm proud as hell of my weight loss and will gladly share it with anyone who notices.  That said, I also try to turn the conversation into a "teachable moment" as we used to say when I taught HS.  I explain that I've not only lost 130 lbs. in less than 6 mos., but I've also lost diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and general lethargy.  Sometimes focusing on the overall health benefits of WLS helps people understand there was a lot more to this journey than they had seen from just looking at the outside. 
Pop-Pop

cleckman
on 5/11/11 12:50 pm
First of all...congrats on your success!

I love all these responses. I usually do say that I learned I had to take care of myself because no one was going to do it for me ;-)

Still Fawn
on 5/10/11 10:04 pm, edited 5/10/11 10:05 pm - SIERRA MADRE, CA
People have asked me that a lot too.. And I run though the various sizes that fit me- there are a lot, and it doesn't bother me at all.. But then a few people actually HAVE bought me clothes, so I can't complain.. Lmao

Eta: it didn't really bother me before I lost weight either.. I have always taken that whole open book concept to a new level, lol.

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views