10 days post op... I am so sick of liquids!

amandamercedes22
on 5/14/11 12:40 pm - CA
Hello All,

So my surgery went really well and I have recovered normally I guess... Everything is going pretty well except:

1. My staples are red around where they go into my stomach and the hole where the drain was is right in the crease of my stomach and does not close up to heal because it is quite possibly the most movable part of my stomach

2. I am so freaking sick of this liquid diet. I am so limited inoptions for what I consume that I am really really bored of even making an effort to put things in my mouth.

I have been cooking a lot for my husband which surprisingly doesn't make me want to cheat BUT when I see him enjoying the heck out of the food and I am eating split pea soup for the umpteenth time.... well its frustrating.

I see my surgeon on Monday and hopefully he will recommend me to start eating the mushies.

Can anyone tell me what the mushies consist of? 

By the way, are potatoes a no no?
Amanda

Mandi E.
on 5/14/11 12:45 pm - Kissimmee, FL
Honey,

The redness is normal. I had it as well. I had the staples removed on my first post op appointment. The JP drain site is still not healed completely on me either. It just takes time. You'll get there.

Now, my lovely surgeon requires a full month of liquids before mushies. I'm just thrilled! (sarcasm) I have 11 more days till I'm there but from what my NUT told me Mushies are anything you can mush with a fork. Just remember potatos are carbs so eat them sparingly but of course you can have them.

People on here will all tell you something different. I've decided that I'm not going to make any food a "no no" I'm just going to try to make the best decision I can for that day. I had a red lobster roll tonight (my parents brought it home for me because I couldn't order soup and watch them eat my favs) and I ate it. I don't feel guilt. I'll work it off. You have to do what works for you.

Just my two cents! 
xoxo~Mandi
"I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it!" ~Marilyn Monroe
 HW:422LBs Pre-op:394LBs SW:391.6LBs CW:303LBs GW:190LBs (5'10")
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lavonda1
on 5/14/11 7:44 pm - Canada
 If your going to do potatoes try yams the are a much healthier choice I mash mine after i bake them add a little chicken broth and a pinch of mild curry powder I love the curry taste cant do the curry heat
It does get easier
LaVonda

Crunchy As Can Be
on 5/15/11 1:55 am - NY
What about making mashed cauliflower in lieu of faux mashed potatoes. They're really good and a very nice low-carb substitute.

-Boil a head of cauliflower until well done, then drain and return to pot
-Add 1/2 cup milk and mash with potato masher or in food processor until creamy (add more milk for "wetter" mash)
-Add 1 tablespoon butter, some salt and pepper for taste
-Add grated or softened cheese and mash again until distributed (any variety you like) (optional)

If it's not creamy enough, try a higher percentage of milk fat or a bit of cream and continue mashing/blenderizing. I like to add garlic powder and a sprinkle of paprika to mine as well.

Yum!
 ~~Emily~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views