0ver 50 and afraid of flab

Daviegrandma
on 5/18/11 1:51 am - Davie, FL
Anyone out there who is 50+ who has lost a large amount of weight?  Dose you skin retract or are you left with lots of loose skin?  

foodlover
on 5/18/11 1:56 am
I am not over 50 but I would worry a lot more about staying overweight than flabby skin.  I'm sure you want to be around for your grandson as long as possible.  Best of luck!
Elaine2
on 5/18/11 2:14 am - Atlanta, GA
I'm closer to 60 than 50. Have lost allot with allot more to go.
Got to tell you....flab and lots of it. But I started out allot higher than you...been overweight all of my life.  Everything is flabby. Hopefully, some will firm up with more weight loss and continued exercises. Plus I don't see  plastics in my future (would love to do the neck and face if I could afford it).

But even if it doesn't firm up, so be it. I feel so much better. The weight loss is worth every jiggle....We wouldn't want Spanx to go out of business!!

Happy966
on 5/18/11 2:14 am

I am 51 and I lost 120 pounds in my late 20s.  I had loose skin then which did not really "tighten up".  I only got down to 165 pounds, and it was noticable, especially on my arms and upper thighs.  I am sure I will have it now.  You won't know how you'll do until you lose the weight, then that's how it is.  That's the kind of problem I look forward to having.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Carmelita
on 5/18/11 2:20 am, edited 5/18/11 2:22 am - Four Corners, NM
NewDawn50
on 5/18/11 2:30 am
Honey, I'm already starting to see loose skin and I'm just under 60 lbs lost with a loooong way to go. 

I'm less worried about hanging skin than dying young from obesity and not seeing my baby grow up.  Hopefully, I will be able to save to get some plastics for the worst of it. 

The rest of it will just get tucked into Spanx. 

Maureen K.
on 5/18/11 5:36 am
 This all depends on your genes I would say??? I am 49 and I lost about 94 lbs I did have some loose skin but not a ton I did however opt to have surgery to have it removed Lower body lift tummy tuck boob lift and implants but that is me because I am vain I guess I just felt after all I did to lose it I deserved to look the best I could but it is a personal decision. However some people have great elastcity in there skin and it bounces right back. I was still happier with the loose skin than when I was fat at least I could hide it in clothes and spanx helps alot. 
Best wishes to you on your journey 

Cheers 

MO

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

KathyA999
on 5/18/11 5:39 am
Yeah, I'm 61.  My thighs look like tied-back drapes from the knee up, and my batwings could injure small children if I'm not careful.  Capri's and 3/4 sleeves can be your friend, and I'm wearing them in size 12 now.  I'll take it over being fat ANY day.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

twobluecats
on 5/18/11 6:09 am
VSG on 12/14/09 with
Ditto what Kathy said.  Batwings are frightening, and I won't wear shorts above the knee.  I'm 43.  I lost 119 pounds. Flabby belly too.  But, wearing the right clothing looks nice, and I'm thrilled with the size 12.  Won't be wearing sleeveless, and I wish I could in the hot Texas summer.  But, that's the way it is.  And, I'll take this flab over the fat any day!  Good luck on your journey!

Daviegrandma
on 5/18/11 10:18 am - Davie, FL
Thank you all for your replys... This board is awesome...

First let me say, of course I am more afraid of the fat. I have be obese all my life and not until my health started to decline did it scare the heck out of me....

I have never lost alot of weight before and I wondered what happened to that extra skin.. It was just a questions....

Thank you all for being so honest. The spanx are a great idea.. And I definately will save up the money for plastics.. I will save the money I would have spent eating out and junk food. The way I figure it, with all the money I spend now, I maybe able to pay for everyones surgery..lol...
Congrats for those who have gotten to goal... I am sure we all can learn alot from you...
I do plan on working out especially in the pool.
I am so excited, I don't have a date yet, working on the insurance requirements but I can't contain myself...
Did you all feel this way?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views