Sabotage

viola_120
on 5/17/11 9:41 pm - FL
I went to the store yesterday and Chips Ahoy were buy one get one free.  There was no way I was going to eat the cookies because my journey is so important to me.  Yet, I found myself picking up the cookies and placing them in my cart.  I was thinking how much my son would enjoy them.  When, suddenly,I had a moment of clarity.  I was transferring my desire to have the cookies to watching son enjoy them.  I was going to sabotage my son.  Here I am telling him that eating sweets all the time is not a good idea although I was buying him the sweets.  How f**ked up is that!   I now realize I have been during this for some time.  I have been encouraging him to eat the unhealthy things because that is what I wanted to eat!!! I put the F**KING cookies back on the shelf and replaced them with multi-grain crackers, cheese, and fruit for him to snack on. 

One of the reasons for this weight loss journey is to find a healthy weight and set an example for my son and be here for my future grandchildren.  Both myself and my husband struggle with our weight.  We don't want our son to have the same struggles.  My son bikes 2 miles each day, swims a minimum of 6 hours a week on the swim team, and my husband has been running a mile with him twice a week for the last 3 weeks.  Yet, my son is on the chubby side though according to the BMI chart he is still in the "average" range, I can see him sliding into the "overweight" category very easily with my sabotage.  My son is only 11 years old.  I don't want to screw him up!!
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
tanieanie
on 5/17/11 10:12 pm, edited 5/17/11 10:12 pm - WI
wow. what a revelation to have.    My son is 13 and has heart disease.  He has had three open heart surgeries so far.  Recently the Dr told him ((and not for cardiac reasons)) that all kids should only have one treat a day.  So if has a soda, that means no candy bar or cup of chips that day.  1 treat a day has really made it a TREAT to have and not just something he can grab as he wants.   I thought that was great advice and he does a great job following it.

BTY  She also told him a protien and a fiber (every few hours) small about.   Usually a piece of cheese and a few blueberries or something like that.  then normal meals.

p.s  My son isnt overweight at all, he was born with heart disease

viola_120
on 5/18/11 2:13 am - FL
It must be difficult to have a child who has major medical condition.  My son was a preemie when he was born and I knew how much I fretted over him, but health wise he was fine.  My prayers for you and your family.
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 5/17/11 10:28 pm - New Orleans
God bless you, darling.  You are one smart cookie!

I hate to sound like an AA meeting, but it's all about "moments of clarity."  You're not just loosing weight.  You're changing your life direction and your family's future.

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

Judith K.
on 5/17/11 11:10 pm
VSG on 05/15/10 with
Hey, FatGuy, love the new pix!  You don't even look like the same person!!!!!!
HW -- 255.8#;  WW/pre-op lost 22.6#; CW -- 152.2#; GW 140#; 103.6# GONE FOREVER!

viola_120
on 5/18/11 2:23 am - FL
You right--it's an addiction.  I'm so glad I recognized what I was doing.  The last thing I want to do is cause harm to my child-especially inadvertently.
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
metime
on 5/17/11 11:01 pm - chesapeake, VA
now thats an Ah Ha moment for sure, I noticed since I have changed my eating habits my family has become more concious of their eating habits too. My 13 yr old has started drinking protein shakes for breakfast instead of junk!..  It gave me a sense of satisfaction also to see my family enjoy a good meal, and all I was doing was making them fat..go figure..I guess thats what they call a lifestyle change right?  Great Job putting the cookies down!..

viola_120
on 5/18/11 2:24 am - FL
My son likes protein drinks to. We are trying to instill good habits for a lifetime and it is never too late to start!  At least I hope not!
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
byebyeburden
on 5/17/11 11:21 pm
I see myself doing this too.  It is good to recognize it.  I desperately do not want my kids to suffer with obesity like I did.  I need to buy healthy snack options, not just for me but for them.....great reminder.
~Emily
Surgery Date Weight: 255 

Goal 1: 199 reached 3/4/11
Goal 2: 175
Goal 3: 150
Goal 3: 129

viola_120
on 5/18/11 2:28 am - FL
I'm glad I was able to help!  It is hard to recognize our own weaknesses!  I'm glad I recognized mine.
HW-250 SW 241.8 GW 139            
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views