Who says husbands aren't stressed (update on shawna)

MrsHelm1012
on 5/20/11 4:53 am - Washingtonville, PA
Well....

Shawna and I were looking forward to discharge today but that may not be happening. She is having problems with liquids and the amount she should be taking in. The docs want her to be at 4oz an hour now, but she is about 1-2 oz now. She is facing a challenge with drinking and pain after it goes down, NORMAL??. She sips and wince/flinch right after. The thicker stuff is giver her trouble but that is the most important to get down (protein shakes). She also notices a difference in sensitivity to drinks, as I made her a protein shake she likes normally but now won't touch it. I'm starting to get frustrated with the situation. She doesn't regret doing it, but this transition phase is difficult. Her mobility is great, but fluid intake has docs hesitating on sending her.

-Brandon

Kim_M
on 5/20/11 4:59 am - LaPorte, TX
Brandon have her try the ice chips it counts as fluids.I think the ice helped with the swelling and was much easier on me I didnt have protein drinks for a few days afterwards. Take it easy it will get better

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 5:04 am
It's normal. I had a very hard time tolerating fluids esp anything with protein as it was even harder to swallow. If they keep her, it's a good thing. Dehydration is a big deal post op for a few weeks. It's just important to keep taking small sips. I was on clears, no shakes for 10 days.. clear protein drinks.. Cytomax, isopure, Syntrax Nectar, shakes would have been impossible to get down. The pain/discomfort sipping finally went away about 5 days out. The biggest push should be for clear fluids, Gatoraide2, stuff like that to stay hydrated, work on fluids first- protein later.
Kim_M
on 5/20/11 5:13 am - LaPorte, TX
Ditto

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 5:17 am
Have her experiment with liquids in different temperatures.  I still can't drin**** cold water, but hot tea goes down much better.  Others have the opposite problem.  Also have her take really tiny sips, aim for about a shot glass worth every 15 min. or so.  Don't pu****  Take it easy and tell her it gets easier. Make sure she is walking every hour and doing her breathing exercises to prevent pneumonia.
mirandainmn
on 5/20/11 6:09 am - MN
Very normal. It sucks, but normal.  I had my surgery last week and still have trouble getting them down sometimes.  My dr also wanted me to stay another day due to this, but I went home anyway.  Also, just wanted  to throw out there for you and for Shawna, that if she or you does question or regret the decision to have the surgery, that is also normal!  Just telling you this because I had the WTF did I do thought after surgery, but thanks to this board I was expecting it and knew it would be short lived.  It's rough at first but does get better, I promise.
emelar
on 5/20/11 6:14 am - TX
Yes, normal.  Use a teaspoon or tablespoon to keep the sips down to a tiny amount.  As other have said, try different temperatures.  It will get better.  Thank the doc - he's worried about sending her home and having her dehydrate.  As frustrating as it is, you're better off in the hospital where they can pump you full of fluids until you can start taking liquids regularly.  Best of luck!
Jessica M.
on 5/20/11 7:02 am - San Antonio, TX
 My doctor wouldn't even let me try protein shakes for the first two weeks after surgery. they wanted me on nothing but clear broth. I would not worry, there is a lot of sweeling right now, that will go down in the next week.

MrsHelm1012
on 5/20/11 10:40 am - Washingtonville, PA
All of you guys are amazing! With all of the first hand experience you offer is great. Shawna wasn't able to come home tonight, but its looking like a 'for sure' tomorrow afternoon. Dr. Gabrielsen came in today while I was there and addressed our questions/concerns. All of you were right on the money with posts on here, it is exactly what he said. The sleeve he created is about the diameter of his pinkie finger, and with the trauma of the surgery it is inflammed to half that. The 2oz and hour is fine for him for now, and as the swelling goes down her fluid intake will increase. The best improvement is that when she takes the 2 oz in, she feels the sensation of fullness and starting to recognize it right away. Dr. Gabrielsen thinks the protein issue is actually a 'milk based' issue and she is showing symptoms of sensitivity. He switched her to something called liquicell? its a water based protein drink. I believe that once she is in her own home and relaxing that its going to be a smooth ride, she is restless to get out of the hospital.

-Brandon

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views