Newbie on the road to a life change! *Warning-Long post*

OffshoreMedic
on 5/20/11 4:59 am - AL
Hi ya'll, I'm Chris and have been lurking here for the last few days trying to glean as much information as possible so that I can make good decisions. Thanks so much for having this forum so that we can get questions answered in a non-judgemental way. 

I am currently 350 lbs and hope to someday be down to 200. I haven't been below 250 since my junior year of high school. I am starting this journey with full support and blessing of my parents, friends and immediate family. I have three cousins who have recently undergone WLS with great results. Five years ago when I was 300lbs I was hiking, going caving and living life like someone who was 220lbs. Unfortunately several life events removed me from those things and my weight began to increase. I have since come to realize that I have a love affair with eating. I do and have always eaten the wrong things purely because I like them. I suppose I had an invincible mentality until one day I realized that I was 150lbs overweight and not having as much fun as I used to. For me food has always been about happiness. Anytime the family gets together it's over a huge meal. (Probably why 4 of us are have had/ are having WLS. lol) I am ready to begin this new journey and get back to living AND loving life the way that I used to.

I went to the initial seminar on Monday, May 9th at Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga, TN with Dr. Christopher Sanborn hosting. He seems to be a very pleasant man with a good ability to relate complex medical information to the layperson. I was very fortunate to be able to schedule my initial consulation for the following day. I met with Dr. Sanborn and had a great consultation. He really helped to put my mind at ease over several questions that I had. He put in orders for me to have blood work, an upper GI and a sleep study prior to our second consultation. I was able to schedule the upper GI and lab work for Thursday the 12th.

I received a call from Dr. Sanborn's nurse today and my upper GI and labwork came back and all is in order. I have a sleep study scheduled for June 6th and consultations with the nutritionist and psychologist scheduled for June 7th.

I am ready to get this process underway and as of now am hoping for a surgery date of July 28th or August 1st. I am a self-pay so there are no insurance hoops or regulations for me to play by. Does anyone see a reason (barring psychological problems) that I wouldn't be able to proceed with that early of a surgery date?

Thanks for all of the support and I can't wait to be able to post weight loss updates.

cabcab
on 5/20/11 5:07 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I was self-pay and had my surgery in Mexico on January 6, 2011.  I scheduled it on December 6, one month before.  I would think that there wouldn't be any problem with you scheduling your surgery for on or around one of those dates.

Good luck!!
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

MN_Mama
on 5/20/11 5:12 am
Hi Chris.   Sounds like you're doing your homework and planning on following what the experts tell you.   That's all I'd advise.    Welcome and looking forward to hearing more from you.

LittleMissSunshine
on 5/20/11 5:56 am
Nope, I had my initial consult on March 24th and am scheduled for surgery on May 23rd, this coming Monday... your timeline sounds realistic to me :-).

Best of luck with jumping through all the hoops... it's a long process, but from what I hear, well worth it (can't wait to find out for myself).

Welcome to the board!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

peachynptc
on 5/20/11 5:58 am - Fayetteville, GA
Sounds like you have all your bases covered! Good for you!! Wish I could have been self pay, I had to wait 7 months for all the nonsense but as long as your head is in the game you should be fine. I am almost 6 weeks post op and can't wait for everything. I am down 30 pounds and lovin' life again, just wish I had done this many years ago!
Wish you the best and we are here for you as you jump through the hoops and land on the loser's bench!!

VSG: 4/11/11 by Dr. Kevin McGill at Buckhead Bariatrics, Atlanta, GA.

Looking for Support Group near Fayetteville/Peachtree City, GA

smbergie200
on 5/20/11 7:37 am - Naples, FL
Wow - we have a lot in common. Looks like we have about the same weight goals. I submit my paperwork on the 13 of next month and hopefully will be approved and scheduled around the time you will get yours. Keep us posted on your success

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Crunchy As Can Be
on 5/20/11 8:14 am - NY
Good luck to you, Chris! I'm glad you found this wonderful website-- the people here are so very supportive and helpful. I had my surgery on 5/10 and am taking it easy trying to get adjusted to everything but am very glad I made the decision.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!
 ~~Emily~~

RigbyMom
on 5/20/11 8:40 am - AL
I was a self pay and from my first consultation until the day of my surgery it was a little over 5 weeks!  Don't be scared.  You are doing all the right things.  You are not making a hasty decision.  The one advantage to being a self pay is that you don't have to wait long to start making your dreams come true!  (my surgery was on Monday!!)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views