What can I take besides Tylenol?

browls0
on 5/26/11 6:52 am
Have cramps as Aunt Flo came to visit today. Took Tylenol earlier, but it just doesn't work that well for me and never has. Why can't I take ibuprofen or naproxen? They never told me why (like most other things!) or anything. FYI -- the education you get from Dr. Kelly is thumbs down. Any just wanting to know why if I can't take the others, why not, and what can I take? Thanks.
- Autumn

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/11 7:44 am
Well, it differs among surgeons.. some say NSAIDS are ok, some say no- mine says ok, if needed short term- as long as we're on a PPI. It's due to a (very) slight ulcer risk along the staple line. I take Ibuprofen with no issue as needed. Many of us got this surgery because of a desire or need to continue to take NSAIDs for things like back pain or arthritis. Hope this helps! 
lindym
on 5/27/11 1:16 am - Canada
VSG on 04/12/11 with
My surgeon told me no ibuprofen because it is hard on the stomach whereas tylenol is processed through the liver. Can't see either being a problem as long as they are used in moderation and not taken on a daily basis.

Tina M.
on 6/1/11 1:06 am
There is a local acid effect of the dissolved drug. Most NSAIDs are weakly acidic, lipid-soluble compounds. Since the cell membranes on the stomach wall contain lipids for protection against strong acids, they offer little resistance to the lipid-soluble NSAID. The NSAID acts against the cell membrane, increasing its permeability.  This results in cell swelling and death.

If you are going to take one of these then choose an enteric coated one because it is dissolved later in the digestive tract.. and all meds are metabolized through the liver..lol. Thats our normal metabolic pathway.. then excreted by our friends the kidneys.

Hope this helps dear
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views