Has anyone had pancreatitis issues prior to VSG?

angieb77
on 5/27/11 9:35 am - Blaine, MN
I have a history of pancreatitis.  (My gall bladder was removed in Sept of 2006).  My pancreatitis issues started in March of 2010.  I've had about 6 or 7 episodes in the past year.  In December of 2010 my pancreatitis became much for frequent I would have an attack every 4-6 weeks.  Finally they scheduled a ERCP with sphincterotomy in March of 2011.  I got severe pancreatitis from the procedure but haven't had any reoccurant flare ups since then.  It's been a little over 2 months since I had the procedure and I am going to have VSG done June 7th.  I'm just curious if anyone has dealt with anything like this?

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

shekicks
on 5/27/11 10:08 am - Dallas, GA
 I have had pancreatitis several times and it has to be the most painful illness you can have.  I feel for you for having episodes so frequently!  I talked to my doctor about it before the surgery and he explained to me that the RNY would probably cause less problems with the pancreas because (I guess this is what he meant) it is bypassed as well so it isn't used the same way as prior to surgery.  He said if I did have problems with it after RNY, it would be hard to get to. With the sleeve if there are problems afterward, it is easy to reach the pancreas if needed.  I chose the sleeve and it has been 8 months and I have not had any episodes since.  Hope this helps.  Best of luck to you with your decision.

Beverly

5' 0"              HW-207 / SW-194 / CW-132/ GW-125             57 years old!

angieb77
on 5/27/11 11:04 am - Blaine, MN
Thank you.  That has helped to relieve some of my worries.  My surgeon did not want to do the RNY on me.  Originally I was considering the band or the RNY.  But because of my pancreatitis issues he wanted me to do the sleeve because of its easy access.

Pancreatitis was horrible.  The first time I got it I thought I was dying because that is literally how I felt.  After having reoccurant episodes of pancreatitis I was beginning to feel like I was going to have to live with it forever.  When I got my first attack in March of 2010 I knew that I had to make a change in my life.  That is when I committed to having weight loss surgery and knew it was my only option to get healthier.

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

Disappearing Me
on 5/27/11 11:56 am - Murphysboro, IL
I had a life threatening case of pancreatitis in 2004.  I had so many gallstones that the gallbladder backed up into my liver and pancreas.  They ended up removing my gallbladder, inserting (and later removing) a stent and removed a portion of my liver.  Fortunately I have had no issues since then, and have experienced none, not even heart burn post surgery.
Most Active