how do you handle evening eating after VSG

Finallyfit54
on 5/26/11 11:19 am
I havent .had a surgery yet.  Still in the evaluation process with dr.s.  I tend to eat when I tired /stressed and do mindless eating in the evening after dinner.  Anybody out there beat this pattern with the help of VSG?
mimikay
on 5/26/11 11:33 am
VSG helps tremendously, but you still have to have the committment to it. At 9 mos out, head hunger is still there, but I cant eat much at one time as long as I eat the right things.
  Kay       HW 219/SW 212/CW 134              
Finallyfit54
on 5/26/11 11:37 am
Thanks Mimikay.
paulasb
on 5/26/11 11:39 am - Sammamish, WA
Hot tea, berries, low fat string cheese (tear into thin strips), 2 oz. package nuts. Keep in mind you have a small tummy and 16 oz. of herbal tea goes a long way.

I too was a evening eater. Not that big a problem after surgery.

Finallyfit54
on 5/27/11 9:04 am
Great suggestions.  Thanks!!!
davensher
on 5/26/11 12:15 pm
I know this probably sounds crazy, but since I had my VSG I still want to eat certain foods or snacks, but I know that if I give in and eat, it won't be as enjoyable as before surgery. And it's not as enjoyable because I'm unable to eat the same quantity of foods as before. The eating experience, for me, is not the same anymore. So, instead of eating, I remember that I probably won't find it as enjoyable as I did before surgery, and I don't want to disappoint myself by even going there. Is that nuts or what?  These days I eat to merely sustain health and life. The enjoyment factor no longer exists. So if it's not satisfying anymore, why do it?  I know. I'm insane, right?
 "Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still possibilities within us, and new beauty waiting to be born."                                               - Dale Turner  

Finallyfit54
on 5/27/11 9:08 am
Doesn't  sound crazy to me.  I spend too much time eating for a feeling or as a recreational event.  It sounds good to me to eat to "sustain health and life" I think it will free my mind and body up for some real fun.  Thanks for sharing with me.
BerniN
on 5/26/11 12:35 pm - TX
I was an evening snacker as well. I started crocheting to keep my hands busy during my pre-op diet phase. I'm not very good at it, but I would crochet dishtowels. I gave the sometimes malformed, home crocheted dishtowels to my friends who have been supportive so far in this process. I am now 2 weeks out and notice I'm ok without a snack or a crochet hook now. And, my friends have really appreciated the dishtowels.

Sometimes we have to think "outside of the box" to get where we want to be. Good luck on your journey.

Finallyfit54
on 5/27/11 9:10 am
You are too funny!!! And, thanks for the suggestion.  Good luck to you too!! Can't wait to be on the journey.
felicity2u
on 5/26/11 12:46 pm - LA
My house has never been cleaner than it is now and I have never taken so many hot baths, lol.  Before, I was like you, even after dinner after my supper had settled I would head to the pantry to get a "snack" after supper.  This wound up being a big bag of chips or candy. After the surgery, I have taken all the fattening stuff out the house.  I only fill the pantry with things that I'm suppose to have.  Bad thing is, is that I was finding myself grazing on things that weren't bad for me but things that I should not be eating this late at night, like almonds, pork rinds or beef jerky.  So now, I put them in my husband's closet in his office and if he keeps them locked away and that way I can't sneak and eat them.  Now, like I said, when I get the urge to eat, I get busy cleaning house, doing laundry, reading, or taking a hot bath.  Good luck with your surgery!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views