Thought about RNY and went with VSG? You dodged a bullet

wert
on 5/29/11 2:47 pm - MN
Great news. Thanks for sharing. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Songcatcher
on 5/29/11 3:38 pm
Thanks for sharing that, I'll put it with your letter and the rest of the studies in my file. 

Bigasiangirl
on 5/29/11 4:30 pm
VSG on 06/01/11 with
 Thank you so much for posting Sunshine!  It makes me feel better about my choice.  

kanga003
on 5/29/11 10:04 pm
Thanks!   I totally feel like I dodged a bullet!  

Someone posted that article a few days back and I printed itout to take with me to my surgeon and NUT... they're gonna hate me :-)
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 10:20 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I'm really glad they're learning more and more about WHY the RNY often fails long-term for many folks as opposed to just blaming the patient for eating too much and regaining the weight. Obviously, eating too much does factor in, but it's darn near impossible NOT to eat too much when your body is constantly telling you to eat! It's just like pre-op for many of us: a feeling of insatiable hunger and never really feeling full, or if you did feel full, you'd feel hungry again very soon after. It's absolutely a recipe for regain since, for many of us, it was the original recipe for gaining.
Krazydoglady
on 5/29/11 10:34 pm - FL
I wonder if it's the same feeling as when you take high doses of steroids for an extended period of time which also pushes up blood sugar levels and insulin production.The impulse to eat is overwhelming -- the actual gnawing hunger never stops no matter what you do.  It's horrible.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 11:08 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Yup, that extra insulin is a *****! Many of us who are type 2 diabetics have dealt with it as well as the body would release extra insulin in an effort to compensate for the insulin resistance of the cells (part of a very viscious cycle!). You just want to eat all the time, and I remember times when I knew I SHOULD feel full because I'd eaten so much, but it didn't matter - I was always ready for more!
carabarnes
on 5/29/11 10:36 pm
I thought about the RNY. Thank god my insurance finally covered the sleeve. I was desperate, I probably would have done it. LOVE my sleeve!

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

katier825
on 5/29/11 10:47 pm
That is interesting!  I am very glad to have my sleeve.  I had zero interest in RNY and probably would not have done the lap band after the research I did.  If it weren't for the sleeve, I'd still be struggling to lose and don't think I'd ever be where I am today.
tee4change
on 5/29/11 11:07 pm - NY
OMG thats my surgeon!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views