Sleevers: Do you feel this?

coreena691
on 5/31/11 4:58 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
I was trying to explain this to a non sleever how it feels with a sleeve.

I'm just getting good now into the soft food/mushie stage and wow, it feels good!  But then again I'm comparing how it used to feel with a pouch and band before, but I really do like how this feels.

I explained it like this:
Instead of taking 1 or 2 small bites and the food falling down into the pit of abyss (like a large holding tank of emptiness), it feels more like a massage of the stomach wall.  I'm chewing and not swallowing until the pieces are smaller than the eraser of a pencil (that's how I had to before with the band), so it's not large chunks, but because of the swelling I can feel it go through until it hits bottom and then each piece adds up.  I am so aware of how it feels because I'm comparing and and listening/paying attention to what's happening.

So if my stomach is completely empty and then I eat, after the 1st or 2nd swallow the empty ache/gurgle is gone.  From there on in, I don't feel "starved" to push the food in quick and can take my time eating my meal.   Usually about 20+ min to eat a meal.  And I stop when I get my full signal (burp, hiccup or feel heaviness).  So far, so good.  Only had slight nausea the first couple times but that was just my stomach getting used to food again and went away within 5 minutes.

I know I may not feel the "massage" as much when the swelling goes down, but it does feel good to feel 1 or 2 bites filling up the sleeve instead of just floating in the abyss! 

Would you describe your sleeve sensation quite like this?

VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

lucy2e
on 5/31/11 5:07 am - Laurel, MD
Wow - thanks for this great description.  As a preop, I deffinitely wonder what it will be like and this is a big help!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

coreena691
on 5/31/11 5:33 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
This was something I was very curious of pre-op too, so I thought it might help give you an idea!  Best of luck with your surgery!!!

emelar
on 5/31/11 5:10 am - TX
Yup.  Early out, I could feel liquids go down all the way, cascading over the folds in my stomach.  Food wasn't quite at obvious, but certainly felt it.  It's not as much of an event after the first few months.

What I love now is that my head has finally caught up with my stomach about portion sizes.  My head use to get very frustrated about the tiny amounts of food on my plate, even though sleevie was perfectly content.  My head can now look at the tiny amounts and BELIEVE that it's really enough, that I won't still be hungry when it's gone.  It's been an interesting, and sometimes maddening, process.

Enjoy the ride! 
coreena691
on 5/31/11 5:38 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
YES!! Cascading over the folds is a perfect description for the liquids!

Luckily for me I've lived with the portions for the past 20 yrs with my old stomach stapling, so this is making my sleeve that much easier to tolerate!!!  Nothing to complain about here!!!

I've had my own set of dishes that my kids used to use as babies.  They think it's funny that mom uses baby plates & bowls.  I use a regular teaspoon and but only because I'm a pro when it comes to chewing!  LOL  I wouldn't be surprised if I'm "over-chewing" more than I need to with the sleeve!  Better safe than sorry, I guess!  

davensher
on 5/31/11 9:30 am
Emelar, that's a great description of how I feel: "My head can now look at the tiny amounts and BELIEVE that it's really enough...."  Thanks for putting into words what I've had trouble expressing! Over the last week or so, I've really come to accept the fact that I can eat only a SMALL amount of food! And yes, it has been a maddening process, but I'm getting there!

Best regards,
davensher from Alabama
 "Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still possibilities within us, and new beauty waiting to be born."                                               - Dale Turner  

Jenns Livin free
on 5/31/11 5:21 am
Although I am still on purees, I can relate a little--especially since I am a former bander.  It is kind of like feeling the walls of my stomach expand a little to fit what I am putting in it!  I am looking forward to seeing what eating real food is like compared to the band!  I guess I am looking forward actually being able to eat and lose weight--as a former bander, you may know what I am saying!
Jenn
Lovin' life...finally! Jenn
HW 324 Lapband SW 290(9/14/09)  VSG SW 254(5/23/11)  CW 210 GW 160
Approved on 3/10/2011 for Revision to VSG. Lapband removal 3/22/2011.VSG surgery 5/23/2011

coreena691
on 5/31/11 5:32 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
I know exactly what you're saying Jenn!!

Hated the band although mine wasn't adjustable.  But if it wasn't a slider food, it wasn't passing through.  Oh I can't wait to have a real piece of meat, like steak sometime.  I don't care if I have to chew it for an hour, just as long as I can swallow it and not have to run to the bathroom to get rid of it because it got stuck!  LOL  My doctor repeated over and over that I won't have that problem but I'll believe it when I "feel" it!! 

I lived 20 yrs with that band, and I'm only in my 3rd week and absolutely love and know I made the right decision!!!  This procedure just plain makes sense!! 

Linda B.
on 5/31/11 7:00 am - CA
Wow 20 years! I can't imagine suffering that long...esp related to food issues. I am so glad you are happy with your change. I love my sleeve and so happy for my decision.
Linda B

Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views