Reaction to the steri strips

4garringer
on 6/2/11 11:35 am
I was sleeved a week ago today and I started getting a rash around all of my incisions spots.  It is red and bumpy and now it has spread to other places on my stomach.   I am hoping that this is a reaction to the steri strips that had over the incisions.  But kinda scard that it might be infected.  But the only thing that makes me think it is not an infection...is that it is spreading.  Has anyone had this happen to them?  It is very itchy and uncomfortable.  Please HELP!!!!

Heather T.
on 6/2/11 11:56 am
I also had some rash from the adhesive. The signs of infection if they are warm, painful, red (not just around the edges but it could also radiate from the incision, fever, pus, etc. 

If you think it might be infected you need to contact your doctor for treatment.

Good luck!

First Goal: loss of 30.25 pounds (1/4 of weight) GOAL MET ON 6/15/2011
Second Goal: loss of 60.5 pounds (1/2 of weight)  GOAL MET ON 9/24/2011
Third Goal: loss of  90.75 pounds (3/4 of weight)
Fourth Goal: loss of 121 pounds (100% of weight)

4garringer
on 6/2/11 11:58 am
They are very red, but not pus, no fever and not painful...just very itchy.  So that is why I'm confused.

Gracieteddy
on 6/2/11 11:57 am - IA
Yes! The itch was so bad!!!!1 If you can take an allergy pill even benydryl tonight if you can. There is also a benydryl lotion you can put on if it is OK with your dr. Cortizone is good but don't put it on the incision beause it inhibits healing so just put it around on the red areas that are not incisions.

Gracieteddy
on 6/2/11 12:06 pm - IA
PS Are the strips still on there? You might need to ask if they can be removed and wash the area with soap and rince well. The itch got better soon after I used the above treatments but it took a long time for the rash to go away.
I used claritin melt in your mouth and both the benydryl lotion and the cortizone cream at different times.
Make sure if you have surgery again you tell them about your reaction. Don't scratch!

4garringer
on 6/2/11 12:27 pm
No I took them off tonight.....in hopes that this will go away soon.  The incision were still pretty open, so I put bandaids over them.  I just took some benedryl just now.  Thanks for your input.  I really appreciate it.

Gracieteddy
on 6/2/11 10:16 pm - IA
Be careful you can react to band aids to if they have the same glue you reacted too. I would try and go in and have your Doc or nurse look at them I did have one get infected I think I must have scratched it. Had to go on an antibiotic . So with the weekend coming up it would be good to get in ....How is the itch this morning?

wls2011
on 6/2/11 12:03 pm - Ballston Lake, NY
 I got rashes all around the bandages, red, itchy, and fluid filled blisters...I noticed it in the hospital though, and took off the bandages when I was getting discharged.  It started to heal a couple of days later.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

4garringer
on 6/2/11 12:28 pm
I don't have the blisters, but it is very bumpy.  Is it safe to have these incisions open to the air?  I just took mine off tonight and pu****erproof bandaid over them.   Do you think that is okay?

Crimson
on 6/2/11 12:22 pm - MD
 I had a reaction to the dermabond that was holding my wounds together. i didnt' notice it until i went in for my 1 week post op and the doc saw it and told me i was allergic. i did notice they were itching a bit, but thought it was due to healing. 

anyhow, doc told me to start peeling off dermabond slowly where it wasn't holding wound together. and to keep cleansing with dial and letting it "dry out". said she'd prescribe me an anti-biotic if i needed it, but i never asked for it. just used benadryl cream.

the itching was soooo bad. i still have rash scars today. ask your doc about the strips and if they can be removed. 

HW: 271 lbs.     SW: 255 lbs.     GW: 150 lbs.    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views