6 month preop diet failure vs. Sleeve success

SpiceyMom
on 6/12/11 11:37 pm
VSG on 04/28/11 with
This is something I've been worrying about. My darling sister-in-law is in month two of her 6 month, insurance mandated diet. Every time I see her she talks about having recently eaten something(s) horrible for her and off the diet. She is always just about to start doing better.

So my obvious concern is this: how much of an issue is this with respect to her being able to stay on a post-sleeve diet? For me, it is tremendously easier to stay on the diet with sleevie in my corner vs. all other dieting I've done in the past. Have others had this experience? Can you fail at the preop and still succeed with the sleeve? Her health is beyond horrible due to the obesity and I so much want to see her healthy again!

Thanks for any insight you'd care to share!

Jill
Mom to 8, looking forward to a healthy future!         
Mom4Jazz
on 6/12/11 11:50 pm
The sleeve helps with portions. It will not help with choices. Every time I see someone post about how they aren't sticking to their pre-op diet (not a one-time mess up, but consistently), I picture them eating bread and potato salad and mac & cheese after surgery.

So she really does need to at least start getting serious about what she's eating (not even worrying about how much right now, just what).

The therapist at my surgeon's practice won't give someone psyche clearance if they can't at least get something of a handle on that aspect of their eating pre-surgery. Again, not perfectly but generally.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

mylastchance
on 6/13/11 12:04 am
My two cents says yes she can.........many don't have pre-op diet restrictions and are very successful after being sleeved.  Unfortunately some Dr's do require you to lose a % of weight and if you don't succeed at that then you will not be approved until it is done...........I personally had to lose 10%  before they would schedule me for surgery..........luckily I had that done in a matter of 6 weeks but ended up on my own to wait 5 additional months for a time that was better for me with time off of work.  Also,  we all cheat.....there are days we have something we know we shouldn't......but with the restriction it is easier not to go too far overboard and a nice reminder to know when we have had enough.........easier to get back on track  and seeing the reflection of the new you in the mirror is sometimes a motivation to keep on plan and to do better.
I am proud of you to show your support for her.....if it were my sister in law.......?????   Let me just say......I don't like her in any way shape or form so I'd be helping shove food down her throat........LOL.......really I would!!!
Hope it all works out for yours.....

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

VeraG
on 6/13/11 12:08 am - Bonner Springs, KS
Diet = 1/2 cup of food - I'm still starving, food is all I can think about, that chocolate is calling my name.

VSG = 1/2 cup of food - I can't believe I can't eat all this, I'm stuffed, that chocolate doesn't even look good.

just my 2 cents

Living until I die!

Diana R.
on 6/13/11 12:27 am - Norfolk, VA
We need a "Like" button.
weightyissues
on 6/13/11 1:21 am
On June 13, 2011 at 7:08 AM Pacific Time, VeraG wrote:
Diet = 1/2 cup of food - I'm still starving, food is all I can think about, that chocolate is calling my name.

VSG = 1/2 cup of food - I can't believe I can't eat all this, I'm stuffed, that chocolate doesn't even look good.

just my 2 cents
Good one! lol.  
lucy2e
on 6/13/11 1:23 am - Laurel, MD
I think she can.  My Dr. and Nut. had a baby steps approach - each month making a small change - like 1st eliminate sugary drinks, then sodas, reduce amount of carbs...

It was slowly working you into the new lifestyle.  I lost a little on it, but it wasn't required.  It really helped me ease into the changes so I didn't feel like I was losing everything all at once and was easier to stay on.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Kristy R.
on 6/13/11 1:39 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I agree - baby steps.  I stopped caffeine first, then carbonated drinks.  Then stopped with desserts and fast food.  Stopped slathering things with mayo and piling on things I did not need, stopped with tons of crappy side dishes.  Started focusing on healthy meals and more water.  Then two weeks before full liquids I started with 2 shakes a day, one meal at night.  Fruit and nuts as a snack if needed.  Then when it was time for my all liquid diet, it was barely a blip for me.  Good luck to her!  Send her to the site!
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 1:46 am - Woodbridge, VA
I weighed MORE at the end of my 6-month diet than I did at the beginning. I absolutely do NOT consider myself a WLS failure.
Carmelita
on 6/13/11 2:41 am - Four Corners, NM
I'd stop worryin about HER...n support her
..yer comin from a whole nutter place...you headed out to Mejico to have yer VSG .....no nuthin preliminary. Not even post op  followup is required.

She's takin the first steps towards CHANGE ...recognizing the fact she needs medical intervention to resolve her obesity...THAT IS  HUGE!!!   give her major prompts!!...if it was so frikken easy...wouldn't she, you,me, majority of us...done it YEARS ago.
Once SHE has VSG in her corner... then ya got sumone to compete/compare with.

Insurance companies use the M.S. diet as a tool!  Lose too much...DENIED all you needed was a supervised DIET/ education.  GAIN too much...DENIED...compliance issues . 
CA. is the only state Ive heard of that DOES NOT REQUIRE MEDICALLY SUPERVISED DIETS!! Insurance Commission and State Managed Health Care SAYS SO!!
They have been found to be a COMPLETE WASTE of TIME and MONEY!! especially when it comes to LIFE-SAVING, ENRICHING procedures like VSG. Only HMOs like KAISER make residents do a m.s. diet there
With the obesity epidemic...M.S. diets may be a thing of the PAST anyway...that is if ASMBS has anything (ALOT!!) to do with it. http://asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/ASMBS%20Position%20Stat ement%20on%20Preoperative%20Supervised%20Weight%20Loss%20Req uirements.pdf

On a medically supervised diet because she eats something "not approved" by the food police everyday...doesn't mean she has failed!  Or won't succeed post op.....its what you, she define success to be...isn't just feeling better, healthier, energetic, confident, stressfree, sexier, playful, ....... SUCCESS TOO? Or is it a THING you put in yer mouth...that defines YOUR, HER success

After 15 years of suffering with obesity related comorbids...yeah I failed MISERABLY 15 years of FAILING PRE-OP is pretty dang good precedence

HAD VSG...

I was AT MY GOAL in 3 months!  ALL 5 of MY obesity related comoridities resolved...wiped off the face of my chart!!  Still GONE!
TALK ABOUT POST OP VSG SUCCESS with that TOTALLY MISERABLE PRE-OP FAIL!!! 
The major poundage lost.....eh that's good too ,-)

Comfortable in my OWN skin.....even tho it sags
Hopefully SIL will be too!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views