Scars from Surgery

Need4Change
on 6/15/11 12:02 am - NJ
Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled for my sleeve next week and was wondering what everyone did about their scars?  I've heard Mederma and silicone scar sheets are great for healing - has anyone tried anything like this and has it helped?

Also, starting to feel self-conscious about putting on a bathing suit where they may be visible - can anyone comment about how they look?  Are they that visible? 

In the grand scheme of things I know this is minor, but was curious to see what I can do to minimize the appearance.

Thanks!
Could_It_Be
on 6/15/11 12:15 am
Not sure which kind of incisions you will have but I had my gall bladder out a couple of years ago and you can only see my scars if you look really really close.

I'm way more concerned with saggy skin and bazillions of stretchmarks than 4 tiny poke scars
Need4Change
on 6/15/11 12:31 am - NJ
Good point!  :)  Thanks for the comment
emelar
on 6/15/11 12:19 am - TX
I'm a little over 6 months out and the scars are still visible, but shrinking and fading.  I use Mederma.  I tried the silicone strips, but they made me itch!  I had my gallbladder out 15 years ago, and you'd have to know they were there to see those scars.  My recollection is that at about a year, they were pretty much gone.
(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 12:22 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 12:27 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Post Date: 6/15/11 7:22 am
Scarring is going to depend on a lot, how you scar, were you stapled, or sewn up inside and then glued and steri stripped, did you have a reaction to glue/steri strips, are you a keloid scar making human.

For me, anything that is "noticeable" on my belly comes from me having been heavy, not my scars.  They are barely scratches.  Which isnt to say that isnt how it will be for anyone else, cuz so much depends on your skin.

Here is my 2 days after surgery belly.

my 10 month out belly with scars pointed to

Then a 2 year out belly, you can see, the scars from surgery arent what you notice I notice my bellah's coy and sheepish grin more than the scars.  :} 

Do you scar well, or not so well?

And we were told to not put anything on the scars for, umm... a few months, especially the mederma rub, because it sloughs off skin from the top, but your skin is still healing from underneath. 

Need4Change
on 6/15/11 12:34 am - NJ
Wow... you can barely see them!!  Thanks for posting the pics, thats really helpful.  Guess we need to be on top of abdominal exercises once healed!!  Oh what fun... 

Didnt know that you cant use anything for a while, thanks for the advise/comments...

Best of luck everyone on your journey!

:)
(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 12:42 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

Yea, you really dont see mine at all.

And be sure to ask your doctor.  They all say such different things about what is or is not okay, that its cool to ask around, but your doc may say something totally different!  :} 

When I was researching, I would always wish folks would SHOW us what they were talking about when they referred to things, like their scars, their skin, so I definitely am a photo documentation person!  :}

Need4Change
on 6/15/11 12:54 am - NJ
I hear you, I'm a picture person too!  I have to start by documenting my journey pre to post op...

I have my pre-op appt this Friday, so I'll be asking tons of questions!  Have them all documented and ready to go (and keep adding)

ready2sleeve
on 6/15/11 4:16 am - CA
Most Active