Nervous about stopping meds..

Ashley O.
on 6/21/11 3:00 am
I've been on it since I was 9. The nurse practitioner  at my last appointment told me that most of my medicines will be stopped after (or before, with some.. like birthcontrol.) surgery, aside from the vitamins and my cymbalta.. So no more birthcontroll, metformin, or aldactone. I'm seriously nervous about this. I've been on Metformin since i was 9.. I had to be off of it for 10 days, a week or two ago, and i gained 7 lbs. just in the 10 days i was off of it. and i was still  on the aldactone and birthcontroll for hormone **** then. I was miserable. I'm really hoping im not super miserable after surgery when i stop all of these meds, on top of the surgery recovery in itself. ahh.

Anyone else have to stop all their meds? did it go over well?

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

2sweetnsugarland
on 6/21/11 3:08 am - TX
Yes I was on Metformin, Coreg, Lipitor, Victoza, Exforge and aspirin.  I only take Corge now and just started taking Lipitor again.  You will be fine, don't worry about a thing.  Listen to your doctor and monitor your glucose levels daily.  My numbers have been between 80-90 every day!!  Hope this helps!  Take care!!

VSG:  5/13/2011
HW:260 / SW:242 / CW:195 / GW: 125

scarlet819
on 6/21/11 3:48 am - LA
VSG on 05/23/11 with
I was on Metformin and Avandaryl along with Crestor and Zetia. I decided not to take the metformin after surgery because the pill was large and it has always given me gastric upset if not taken with food. I have also read that metformin inhibits weight loss.  I carefully checked my sugars 4 times a day in the beginning and continued the Avandaryl twice daily as before. I'm now 4 weeks out and my sugars are between 80-120 ANY time of the day and I'm only on one Avandaryl per day. I see my endocrinologist next week so I hope I can get the AOK to go with diet/excercise only. My PCP took me off the Zetia because two weeks after surgery my cholesterol was 100 and my triglycerides were 107! My triglycerides have been too high to calculate in the past and now they are normal! I love my sleeve!

Sandy S.
on 6/21/11 4:11 am
I was on Victoza, glipizide and Actos for diabetes, and they took me off it the day of surgery.  My mom had been in the hospital for 6 weeks earlier in the year, and they took her off her diabetes meds and regulated it with insulin, so I was not surprised when the first day they brought me a shot, but it was only that one time.  The rest of the time my blood sugar was in the normal range. So at discharge he took me off all  my diabetes meds. He kept me on my blood pressure for now and acid reflux meds.  I trusted the man to cut out 80% of my stomach, so I am gonna trust him to manage my meds.  Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by how much my doc tried to anticipate my comfort needs.  He ordered bliztex, nasal saline and throat spray without me asking.  They came in handy.  Yeah Dr. Beall!!

Don't worry or if you are really worried talk to you doc about your fears. Best of luck!

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 221 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 302 views