Safety concerns in Mexico

judyalbertson
on 6/21/11 8:26 am
I am planning on going to Mexico in July to have a gastric sleeve from Dr. Aceves.  My family is very, very concerned about the safety around the border.   Dr. Aceves does surgery in Calexico.  Can anyone give me a lot of reassurance that it is very safe to go here for surgery?  Thank you so much!
dicastro1010
on 6/21/11 8:57 am - Escondido, CA
I go to mexico all the time. I live in San Diego though (Escondido Ca to be exact) and it's only 45 minutes to the border. Sometimes less. I don't know about getting such a major procedure though or about the Dr. If you feel completely confident in Dr. Aceves and the practice and you feel you have done a LOT of research then that is best left for you to judge. I know there are a couple people on youtube that had sleeves done in Mexico and they were really really successful. I just don't know too much about that part.

I did have PRK/ Eye surgery in Mexico though earlier this year and it went PERFECT. I went from blind to almost 20/20 and saved THOUSANDS plus got great service and care/ follow up care. I would just ask a LOT of questions and make sure you are confident in the actual surgeon and facility. As far as safety, you will always have people that tell you it's unsafe. I go about once a month and have never feared for my "safety".  I even spent the night there after my surgery, walked around at night etc, it was fine in terms of that.
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

Silverspoke
on 6/21/11 9:06 am - southaven, MS
 FYI...Dr Aceves does surgey in Mexicali MX which is just across the border from Calexico CA.

When I was there I felt perfectly safe. After my surgery I would walk around the block the hospital was on daily. The people that i would run into never even batted an eye at me. again I felt perfectly safe.
Mexicali is not one of the trouble spots for drug gangs and violence like TJ is. All the people I saw while I was there was just everyday,bluecoller type ,working stiffs. Besides the first night in the hotel is the only time you will be alone,although there will probley be other patients in the rooms next to you. The rest of the time you will be in the the hospital or with the driver.

Its normal to be concerned about going to MX but Mexicali is a safe place.

P.S. You couldnt have picked a better Dr than Aceves. My experiance there was fantastic.

Andy

judyalbertson
on 6/21/11 9:09 am
Thank you so much for your sharing your experience!
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 9:11 am
He does it in Mexicali, and Mexicali is the 2nd safest city in MX, and the safest border town period. Please google some stats on the city.. My husband walked to the mall- about 2mi from the hospital, a couple times day and night, and went out for a taco.. etc, no issues. It's a quiet working class city. The hospital is 700' from the border too. You can walk to it if you want, my husband did, kinda interesting. It's a very quiet place.
CEEW
on 6/21/11 9:56 am
DR. ACEVES DID MY SLEEVE ON FEB. 15TH AND AS OF TODAY I'VE LOST 95 LBS !!!    I FLEW INTO SAN DIEGO AND WAS PICKED UP BY THEIR DRIVER. HE TOOK US STRAIGHT TO THE HOSPITAL WHICH IS ONE BLOCK ACROSS THE BORDER. MY FRIEND WALKED OVER TO A MALL NEAR THE HOSPITAL AND ALL AROUND THE AREA WHILE I WAS THERE. MEXICALI IS ONE OF SAFEST BORDER TOWNS THERE IS.

DR.ACEVES AND DR. CAMPOS EXPLAINED STEP BY STEP WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN DURING MY STAY AND MADE ME FEEL AS COMFORTABLE AS I COULD BE FACING SURGERY.

I WOULD TELL ANYONE THAT THIS WAS THE BEST DECISION I'VE EVER MADE.

IT SAVED MY LIFE !!!!
FatGuyInALittleCoat
on 6/21/11 9:59 am - New Orleans
Mexicali is very safe & friendly.  I even walked around on the sidewalk in my hospital gown. 

Current weight: 170 lbs.

Once I reach goal, this cow will be killed & eaten... 2 ounces at a time.

Total includes 56 lbs. lost on 2-month low carb pre-op diet.  Start date 9/13/10.

NursieGirl
on 6/21/11 10:10 am
I've been in Mexicali/Calexico for almost two weeks, met Dr. Aceves, and saw his hospital, and you have nothing to worry about.  The hospital is top-notch, Dr. Aceves is kind and talented, and with obvious precautions you'd take in any foreign country, you will be just fine!

rydurhorse
on 6/21/11 11:06 am
I had my surgery done by Dr. Aceves and my husband/family was the exact same way. I got my husband to go with me and he was so amazed at how exceptional it all was and we felt totally safe!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 358 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views