Eating Plans Post Op

suthernqueen
on 6/22/11 12:06 pm

Have a question about eating plans your doctor gives during your weigtloss phase.

During weight loss phase my doc requires

600-800 cal
15 carbs (5 carbs per meal)
60-80 grams of protein
minimum of 64oz liquids

Please post you doc requirements, just would like to compare.

With the exercise seems like I should increase something to keep up with what I am burning.

Please help!!! I have been stalled for 2 weeks and really getting down about it.

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/11 12:16 pm
Same here, but my drs plan is no more than 40g.. but I stay around 20-25max. 
Keep on keeping on, do take measurements and pitch the scale for a while- it is not the end-all-be-all to determine success.. Eventually it will go down again, but until it does you need to keep a good mindset to not let this derail you! :)
johnbertak
on 6/22/11 1:31 pm - MD
First, stalls come and go, don't sweat it.  Second, stalls can come from not eating enough - your body may be saying, "what's going on here, I need more food and I won't give up the fat b/c I'm in starvation mode."  I've rarely had a stall.
My program's focus is on protein and hydration, the carbs, calories, etc. are not specific, it's up to each of us to follow the plan that works best for us in consultation w/ our dietitian.

I eat 4 mini-meals per day - at 4 hour intervals.  I have breakfast at 9, lunch around 1, dinner at 5 and my late meal is at 9ish.  I consume an average of 1100-1400 calories per day and have done so since going on solid foods.  I focus on protein - starting every day with a protein shake (Unjury's my choice) in 8 oz. of 1% milk. For my first 100 lbs. of weight loss I did a double scoop protein shake every a.m., now I do singles.  I get 75-90 g. of protein daily - eat a lot of seafood, chicken, beans.  Since I was diabetic, I do a very low sugar diet and I'm also aware of fats - as for carbs, I'm not an anti-Carb-fanatic like some, I just don't eat much processed food like bread, crackers, chips, etc. - keeps the carbs down.  I do eat a well-balanced diet overall and wifey and I eat about 85% the same diet (she's not on the program).
I had trouble early on getting enough fluids, but now I don't have any problems getting at least 64 oz. daily - diet green tea, Powerade Zero, Crystal Lite, decaf coffee, etc.

My weight loss has been fantastic - I'll be 7 mos. post-op in 2 days - I'VE LOST 147 LBS. SO FAR!  (I lost 24 of it pre-op).
My keys to success are consistency, honesty, and mindful eating.  I exercise enough to burn 500 calories minimum every single day - no days off, ever. Usually I walk - in my hilly neighborhood or on the golf course.  Nothing fancy, I just do it every single day - oh, I said that already - so I must think it's important.
I also log every bite in my computer so I know exactly how much I've consumed - I don't lie to my computer the way I used to lie to myself about what or how much I eat.  Sleevie kicks my ass if I eat too much, but Sleevie doesn't know if I'm downing a protein shake or a Wendy's Frosty - only I can control that. 
I "consider" the benefits/negatives of every meal I eat. 
I'm 65 years old; feeling great and looking forward to a longer, healthier retirement.  Life is good.
Pop-Pop (pix on profile)

MrsClaus09
on 6/22/11 10:49 pm
800-1000 cals
No carb restrictions but I try to stay under 120
60-80 pro
64oz+ liquids

Exercise 30 mins a day
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
George B.
on 6/23/11 1:37 am - Miami, FL
Following is the plan my doctor gave me,

1. Eat 600-800 calories per day when losing weight  and 1,200 calories to maintain
2. Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day
3. Eat 70-100 gram of protein daily
4. Minimum 64 oz. liquids daily
5. Regular exercise/physical activity (Bike 3-5 times a week)
6. Track what you eat ( I use myfitnesspal.com to track calories, carbs, protein, etc.)

Review what you are eating and make appropriate adjustments. Cut out slider foods like bread, rice, potato, chips, carbs in general. You can eat slider foods all day long and feel no restriction.

Dense protein, limiting carbs and regular physical activity were responsible for me reaching my weight loss goal and maintaining.

Good luck,
George

suthernqueen
on 6/23/11 11:30 am
Thanks to everyone for sharing.

I use myfitnesspal to track, i stay away from slider foods and have been keeping my carbs at 15 or lower. Think I may try increasing and see how that goes.

I do know that I am losing inches eventhough I don't measure because my clothes continue to get loose.

Again thanks for the support. Really means a lot.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views