Protein Question....for a newbie...Please

luckiestparentoftwo
on 6/22/11 3:37 pm - Canada
I am being sleeved on July 1st and i start my pre-op this weekend...I am wondering a couple of things...

I am not educated when it comes to protein drinks...i have read forums etc....i see nectar drinks, whey drink, fruit drinks etc....can you tell me what you do...i would like some variety...

I bought myoplex lite for post op...and i think i will switch to bodywise shakes...but i would love some fruit, and water protein....with the water protein do you just buy it premade or is it something you add to your water??

Whats your favorite protein snack???

I am trying to wrap my head around things and have some stuff in the house for when i get back from mexico...

I hope this post makes sense....
jbskaggs
on 6/22/11 5:38 pm - holt, MO
 I didnt do protien shakes- instead I drank whole milk and lots of yogurt.  Some people use different methods but for me that worked.

Shana16
on 6/22/11 6:40 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Hello, Have you been to www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com she has some very good ideas.  I like nectar they are fruit ones you mix with water.  You can go to www.vitalady.com too she sells tons of samples of shakes,bars, everything.  I love Oh Yeah bars but not thier shakes.  Best of luck to you. Just remember what you love/like now you might not after surgery.  Has happened to me.
 LIVE HOPE DREAM

Shana

ElleMarie
on 6/22/11 6:48 pm
 My daughter is hypoglycemic so we bought her glucerna, turns out she and I both LOVED the taste of them and we both have been using them post op.  The only flavor we have tried is chocolate.  
 laurieunapologetically.blogspot.com/
Gastric Sleeve 6/10/2011
Starting weight 291
Dr Ortiz, Tijauna Mexico
tiffanyyy1390
on 6/22/11 11:35 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hello!! Good luck on your upcoming surgery!! I am 10 days out from surgery and currently I am looooving Necta cappuccino protein powder!! I also have Unjury vanilla powder, but I'm not crazy about it and am going to switch to BSN lean dessert whipped vanilla powder when my Unjury is empty. I would suggest ordering some protein samples from www.vitalady.com! I bought a lot of the samples so I have them on hand when I want something other than the proteins I bought in the big containers. I recently bought some Special K protein water powder to add to my bottled water and I am very satisfied! Since I am constantly drinking, doesn't hurt to add 5g of protein while I'm at it! I am currently still on full liquids, but my favorite snacks are Fage 0% greek yogurt mixed with SF preserves!! Also I bought an ice cream machine and I make frozen yogurt or ice cream pretty much everyday! Hope this helps!!
George B.
on 6/23/11 1:18 am - Miami, FL
My doctor told me to look for whey protein drinks because it was better absorbed by the body. There are other sources of protein in shakes and mixes but he advised me to stick with whey protein.

My favorite protein snacks are,
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
Beef Jerky
Greek Yogurt
Pumpkin Seeds (11 grams of protein per 1 oz. serving)
Stilton Blue Cheese
FF Latte
Salmon
Cottage Cheese

emelar
on 6/23/11 1:39 am - TX
Whey protein isolate or concentrate is the most easily absorbed.  Then soy protein isolate or concentrate.  Then casseinate or milk protein.  Stay away from anything that says collagen or collagenized protein because, even though it's protein, it's can't be used by our bodies and is a waste of time (don't buy any protein shots or bullets!).

You're gonna have to get samples to see what you tolerate.  You don't have to love them (although it's great if you find one that you do), but you need to be able to get them down for the first few months until you can eat enough to meet your protein goals.  Get an unflavored powder that can be added to broths, puddings, etc.  Try a few shake recipes.  One protein drink that's popular is Premier, a ready-to-drink that you can get at Costco.  Also Muscle Milk.  Syntrax Nectar is a fruit flavored protein powder that I've heard good things about.  Experiment!
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/11 1:50 am
Nectars are fruit flavored whey protein that you mix with water, very good. Read Sublimates VSG FAQ's page and you will get a good amount of suggested samples (plug in VSG FAQ's in the search bar to find it.)

Go to Vitalady.com and get yourself a bunch of sample packs of all sorts of protein mixes.. and she even has protein bars and snacks.. and you can get a sample kit direct from many of the protein manufacturer's by calling or emailing them.. I'll attach the one from Syntrax Nectar the bottom of this message, they are good, and the right kind of protein for us.. Emelar is spot on- avoid the protein "shots"- they are all collagen based and frankly, taste gross. 

Protein snacks- basically the same stuff I normally eat: eggs, lo-fat motz cheese sticks- I use Sargento brand, has a little more protein per serving, greek yogurt, Ostrim meat sticks- lo-fat, high protein and tasty, beef jerky, actually any jerky.. 

Here's the contact info for the Nectar, but please also check out Vitalady, she's got a huge selection of protein drink and bar samples!

We are currently offering a one time only, limit one per person special on theNectar ‘Variety Sampler’ containing 13 full serving packets of the following flavors:  Apple Ecstasy, Caribbean Cooler, Crystal Sky, Fuzzy Navel, Lemon Tea, Pink Grapefruit, Roadside Lemonade, Strawberry Kiwi, Twisted Cherry, Chocolate Truffle, Strawberry Mousse, Vanilla Bean Torte and Latte Cappuccino.  The price is $13.00.  The Nectar Variety Sampler receives FREE SHIPPING and orders typically arrive in 2-5 business days via UPS Ground.  If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please give us a call at 866-333-7403 x 801.  Our hours are Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm Central time.

luckiestparentoftwo
on 6/23/11 2:42 am - Canada
thank you everyone for your replies.....
sublimate
on 6/23/11 4:13 am - San Jose, CA
Here's the VSG FAQ message just for you:

Welcome to the VSG board! The veterans of this board want to share a few links with you that will answer common questions and get you started on the way! We will add to and update this list frequently, so if you see this re-posted, please check it again as there may be updates.

These links represent questions we see frequently and tend to have thorough responses to answer those questions in the thread. If you read these messages, you'll be much more knowledgeable about what you are likely to see during your VSG experience.

Veterans, if you would like to add to this list, please PM me. Feel free to copy and paste this message and link to the FAQ elsewhere or send to others to help answer questions for new members.

FAQ:

http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com

If you have a question or need information, before opening a new thread, try the "SEARCH" box at the top right hand side of the page. This is a quick and easy way to get an answer to many questions because many questions have been asked and responded to before quite thoroughly.
Hope that helps!

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views