Pop-Pop @ 7 mo. Ka-CHING! Down 147 lbs.!

johnbertak
on 6/24/11 5:14 am - MD
Today's is exactly 7 months since my VSG.  I'm down 147 lbs. from my heaviest weight (lost 24 lbs. pre-op) and things couldn't be better. (Well, my golf swing could always be better, but that's another story involving the loss of the "moobs," belly, etc.,)  No more diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea or Rx meds of any kind. 
How did I lose so much weight so fast?  Well, Sleevie helps a lot by kicking my ass whenever I try to overeat - too painful, so that rarely happens.  But Sleevie doesn't know the difference between a protein shake and a Wendy's Frosty, only I can control that - and I do. 
My philosophy since opting for WLS:  "I'm on a surgically-assisted, medically supervised weight reduction and personal fitness program with an 18-24 mo. loss window; then it will be on to a life-time maintenance program."
I live my program daily - from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed, I am aware of the program - not encumbered by it, but aware of it. 
I pledged to do my part pre and post-op and I've kept true to that pledge - here's how:
EXERCISE:  My goal - burn 500 calories daily with aerobic exercise.   I exercise every single day - no days off, ever. (If I miss a day b/c of travel, I "double-down" the next day or two to make up for it.)  My exercise of choice is just walking - simply walking at a rapid pace in my moderately hilly neighborhood.  I started with a half-mile pre-op. - I now walk 4 brisk miles every day, no days off, ever - oh, I said that before, so I must think it's important.  I walk the golf course 2 or three days per week now, that's about 7 hilly, hot, sweaty and wonderful miles each time.  I sometimes go to the local gym, but nothing fancy.  I am my own personal trainer and I don't need classes to keep me going - my wife is my #1 cheerleader and exercise buddy - we keep each other moving.  I swim a bit, do lots of heavy yard work and have lots of energy for chores around the house.
NUTRITION:  I consume between 1100-1400 calories per day, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more.  I get my 80-100 grams of protein by eating a well-balanced, relatively normal diet.  I'm not an anti-carb fanatic, I just choose not to eat much bread, pasta, crackers, potatoes, or other white food.  I eat plenty of veggies, a variety of meats, mostly chicken, some pork and some beef.  I love and eat quite a bit of seafood.  I was previously diabetic, so I pay close attention to sugars.   Wifey and I eat about 90% the same diet - I just eat a lot less of everything.  I gave up all alcohol for 7 mos. pre and post op, but now opt for a ****tail when I choose to.  And by god, I'll eat a bite or two of birthday cake at my grand kids parties.  But everything - excuse me, that should read "EVERYTHING" I consume goes into my computer log.  I know exactly how much I've eaten and whether it's good or bad for me.  I do not lie to my computer the way I used to lie to myself about portion sizes, or little "sneaky snacks" that "don't count."  Everything counts.  I eat 4 mini-meals daily at about 4 hour intervals.  I do not snack between meals.  (Honesty alert:  Okay once in a while I'll have some almonds, but no more than 12 - REALLY!)
SUPPORT:  I told everyone who cares about me that I was having VSG b/c I valued their opinions and wanted to hear their questions.  Everyone, excuse me, that should read, "EVERYONE" who loves me has been on my support team.  I receive encouragement, atta-boys and amazing compliments from my golf buddies, my neighbors, my friends, and most importantly, my family.  It recently occurred to me that my openness about this program provided me with additional incentive to make it work - I've failed at a lot private dieting, but haven't failed at too many projects where others were watching my progress.  I can't imagine having "secrecy" as an extra burden on this journey.  I go to 2-3 support group meeting per mo., and I'm grateful for my OH buds who have been so kind to me.  Thank you.
FUTURE:  I have about 27 lbs. to go to my first goal of 250 lbs. (still big, I know, buy I graduated from high school at 240 lbs., so it's a good weight for me - for now)  Reaching that goal won't be any easier than what I have done so far - it is hard, hard work, this weight-loss thing.  And the harder you work, the more success you'll have. 
I'm 65 years old, but feel many years younger these days.  I'm proud of what I've done and looking forward to celebrating big time with wifey when we go to Italy in Sept. It's a journey that has helped provide both incentives and dreams while I walk, walk, walk my way to a new and healthier life.   Thanks for listening and for being such good friends on this amazing journey.
Pop-Pop (pix on profile - more to come when I hit 150 lbs. lost)

Primyzia
on 6/24/11 5:37 am
VSG on 08/09/11 with

WOW you did a wonderful job I'm so happy for you.....thank you for your post  by the way I'm from Italy and I just want to ask you where in Italy are you going??? I'm from Napoli and if your going there you need to try the mozzarella di bufala and the pizza IT'S THE BEST!!!

tulips52
on 6/24/11 5:39 am
 Congrats! It sounds like you have it all under control!!!

koshermama
on 6/24/11 5:40 am
Congrats!!! Keep up the fantastic work!!!!!!!!!!!!

HW 310, SW 307, CW 259, LW 7.5, Goal 150

Shalom aleichem! Join us...  Keeping Kosher After WLS    
thebadest
on 6/24/11 5:45 am - Houston, TX
Congratulations

***Getting to Goal Challenge: -13.9/22.7 July 29th surgiversary**
Trina//SW:270/CW:172.7/GW:150

wildfan
on 6/24/11 5:48 am
Awesome post my brother. You and I were almost exactly the same starting weight. I was 425 pre-op, 384 day of surgery, and now just shy of 2 months and 2 weeks after surgery I am down 91 pounds. Hoping to hit the 100 mark by my birthday (July 12) or before. Hoping to drop below 300 for the first time since 10th grade (24 years ago) by about August 15 or Sept 1. Great to see you doing so well! Hope I can duplicate your success.
Margo N.
on 6/24/11 6:24 am
way to GO!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Bigasiangirl
on 6/24/11 6:30 am
VSG on 06/01/11 with
WOW!!!  Congratulations on your hard-earned reward! 

Ladydivigirl
on 6/24/11 7:30 am
Pop-Pop...Congratulations on your amazing journey...I love your enthusiasm and your great advice. I am three months out and needed a reminder of how hard I need to work on this journey. I need to step up my game and put more effort into my exercise routine. You are such and inspiration to all of us who wants to succeed on this VSG journey...Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experiences with us!!! JOB WELL DONE!!!! I am sure ur golf swing will improve..LOL...

"The will of God will not take me where the GRACE of God cannot protect me!"    
lucy2e
on 6/24/11 10:37 am - Laurel, MD
Pop pop - as always, you inspire me!  Thanks for sharing your "secrets"!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views