I'm 3 weeks out and on soft foods, but I can't keep them down

lrwright09
on 6/27/11 12:22 pm - MI
Today was my first day on soft foods.  I was so excited to get to this stage, but everything I eat is not sitting right on my stomach.  I tried an egg last week and I got sick.  so, I'm scared to try them again.  Today, I ate sof****ermelon and fish and I got sick.  What am I doing wrong?  Before surgery, I used to be able to eat cottage cheese, but that doesn't bode well for me either since the surgery.  I could really use some pointers.  Can anyone help?  Thanks

Pre-surgery weight:  285
After pre-surgery diet:  271   
roundater
on 6/27/11 12:35 pm - Lincoln, NE
Did you actually try the cottage cheese. I have had it since surgery with no problem. If it keeps up I would check with your doc. How may days out are you? I am 17 days out. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

lrwright09
on 6/27/11 12:51 pm - MI
Yea, I tried the cottage cheese last week and it didn't go down well.  I'm not sure what's going on.

roundater
on 6/27/11 1:11 pm - Lincoln, NE
Sorry that did not help. If it is still going on 2-3 weeks out I would check with your doc. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Rich Sonderegger

LittleMissSunshine
on 6/27/11 1:56 pm
My doctor's diet guidelines say if you don't tolerate any given phase, go back to the one before it for a few days.  I know everyone's diet guidelines are different, but 3 weeks out seems pretty fast to be on soft foods... I don't get to have them until 8 weeks.

It could be that your tummy just isn't ready for them yet... stick with pureeds for a few days and then try again.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

lrwright09
on 6/27/11 10:51 pm - MI
I noticed that about the guidelines.  Everyone has different phases.  Ours say that 3 weeks out begins the soft food phase.  But you're probably right.  I should just stay in pureed foot because I'm getting very frustrated.  It just seems like I'm always nauseous. 

DragonGirl
on 6/28/11 1:49 am - MN
I found it better to add one food at a time and tiny amounts...maybe a baby spoon full at each meal along with some pureed food. This does get much better! Take your anti nausea meds right after you eat.

Eggs still don't always sit well with me to this day and I'm almost 6 months out. Try eggs in an egg salad mix...it works better for me!

Like I said...it does get much better..just takes getting used to it!
Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
LittleMissSunshine
on 6/28/11 1:56 am
So far I've only tried pureed egg salad, but it goes down fine... fills me up super fast though!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

lrwright09
on 6/28/11 2:34 am - MI
Thanks for the advice, Ladies.  I may try egg salad next week to see if that works. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views