rapid weight loss and effect on memory and energy

amidwife4u
on 7/7/11 7:30 am
Hi there.  I'm hoping to be sleeved in late September or early October.  I have been the classic dieting yo yo for over 10 years.  When I have been successful at losing weight in the past, I noticed that my short term memory was affected, and I lost some of my hair, if I would eat less than 1000 calories per day.  As a health care provider, I need to have all of my memory intact. 

For those of you who have been sleeved,
Have you noticed a decrease in energy after the initial healing period of say 2 weeks post surgery?
Did you feel any difference in your ability to concentrate? remember things? etc.
How long were you off of work after your surgery?  Could I go back to work 1 week post surgery?

Just trying to get this figured out.

koshermama
on 7/7/11 7:33 am
Geez, my short term memory is already shot! I'm going to need a secretary...

HW 310, SW 307, CW 259, LW 7.5, Goal 150

Shalom aleichem! Join us...  Keeping Kosher After WLS    
Happy Girl
on 7/7/11 8:14 am - CA
I have multiple sclerosis so I already have sever fatigue and a spotty memory. My suggestion would be to focus on food quality and proper vitamins. At least I am fatigued today with 28 pounds less to schlep around with me than a few weeks ago

5'6"
  Dr.  Gregg Jossart  

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 9:27 am
 2 weeks post op I was still pooped, after I went back to work it to me about another week to get through a day in decent shape.

I can't say my short term memory was impacted, I'm not more forgetful or absentminded than usual, I think 1 week is pushing it but we're all different.  By the end of week 3 I was handling full days in stride...

Sorry, can't comment on hair (I shave my head...by choice for now) but I did notice I could go an extra day between shaves for a few months lol.
MacMadame
on 7/7/11 9:36 am - Northern, CA
I had more energy immediately post-op. That doesn't mean I didn't have days when I was dragging. I was recovering from surgery after all. But mentally I was full of energy and often physically too.

As for memory loss, I starting having issues with memory and focus in the months leading up until surgery. I assumed I was distracted. But it didn't really get better post-op. I eventually read something that made me realize I had stopped doing a lot of things that help with memory (like writing lists) and had lots a lot of good habits that way. Now that I am doing those things again, my memory is much better.

However, malnutrition can impact your memory so be aware of that. You don't want permanent brain damage due to malnutrition!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Kristy R.
on 7/7/11 11:05 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I have read some about this..and the jury seems to be out.  However, I can tell you that my STM is JACKED.  If I don't write something down or add it my calendar right then and THERE - forget it.  Follow up is a huge part of my job as well as completing tasks for clients, this is really painful for me.  I'm pretty tired, unfortunately.  Just had my labs done yesterday and I am not deficient in anything.   Guess it just takes time, or it's the sleep apnea.  

ummm..what were we talking about again?  
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Sassy 1
on 7/7/11 11:21 am
I had a hard time the first 3 weeks and then started feeling better.  I do get tired, especially the first couple months,but not unbearable.  My STM- seemed to dip a little when I went back to work, but seems ok now.  I do tend to keep a notebook with me and write down things so I don't forget, but have busy job, too.  I did just play Scattegories the other night at Girl's Night and kicked everyone's butt, so think I'm doing ok! 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
DrHollywood
on 7/7/11 12:20 pm - Harbor City, CA
Everything has gotten better after surgery.  clear mind,  healing good,  pains decreased by 95%
No depression, no deadaches, no anxiety

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

Eydiebug
on 7/7/11 12:42 pm - San Antonio, TX
Whew! I'm glad to see that it's not just me having issues with STM.  Sometimes I will go to say something to my hubby, and then just sit there with a blank look on my face.  As for my energy level, I have my good days and my bad days.  I took 3 weeks off, but that last week was our Spring Break week (I work at a school).  I'm sure I could have gone back in 2, but I thought it would be best to take that extra week.  I'm glad I did because I've had zero issues or complications.

Eydie

HW-319 SW-295 CW-186.2 GW-160 BMI-29.1   
roundater
on 7/7/11 1:00 pm - Lincoln, NE
I felt great even when I left the hospital. Increased energy and no memory problems at all. I could have gone back to work in a week or two except for the restriction on lifting (10 lbs). I work at the post office and have to lift packages. Everybody heals differently though so hopefully your employer can handle you being off a little longer. Use the Family Medical Leave Act if you have to to get more leave if needed. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views