PCOS & GERD with VSG vs RNY?

frostylost
on 7/24/11 3:16 am

I suffer from PCSO and GERD, my surgeon has insisted that with those conditions and my BMI of 49 that RNY is the way to go. Something about a metabollic and hormonal change that is achieved after RNY that puts PCOS into remission? If anyone has any knowledge on that topic I would appreciate any input you may have. He also said that just because of the GERD alone would be reason enough for him not to want to do a sleeve on me. He said more often than not the sleeve exacerbates GERD and even causes those who do not have it to develop it after the VSG procedure. My head says to listen to the advice of my surgeon but my heart is on the sleeve (haha made a funny w/o even trying). I am scheduled for RNY 8/29 but plan to talk to my surgeon again on my pre-op date of 8/10 and insist on changing to the sleeve. I really trust my surgeon and don't want to have to go elsewhere for a second opinion if he refuses to do VSG.

~I live each day in victory...because of the one who died for me~

HW: 289    SW:276    CW: 222  GW: 135~~~~~Monthly lbs lost> M1=15 M2=15 M3=14
MyOwnSunshine
on 7/24/11 3:20 am
I know that my surgeon said that my GERD would not go away with the VSG and that I would have to continue taking PPIs, but I'm okay with that.  I also suspect that a lot of my GERD issues are due to a hiatal hernia.  If so, they will diagnose and fix it during surgery.

Do your homework carefully and read the forums for each of the surgeries.  You may want to look into DS instead of RNY if you decide to go that direction.  RNY seems to have more issues with regain than DS, but it is ultimately a choice you and your surgeon will have to make.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
wert
on 7/24/11 3:22 am - MN
I see you've been a member since April. The topic of gerd has been discussed many times, most recently this past week. You'll find a treasure trove of information on both PCOP and GERD simply by using the search feature at the top of this page. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

frostylost
on 7/24/11 3:39 am
On July 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM Pacific Time, wert wrote:
I see you've been a member since April. The topic of gerd has been discussed many times, most recently this past week. You'll find a treasure trove of information on both PCOP and GERD simply by using the search feature at the top of this page. 

I'm sorry if I annoyed you with my post but thanks for the advice

wert
on 7/24/11 4:03 am - MN
Not annoyed - just suggesting taking full advantage of all the information available on the OH forums.  

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

frostylost
on 7/24/11 4:08 am
Ok, thanks...I am doing a little searching now and although I have found several similar topics theres just so much contradicting information. Seems everyone has heard something different.

MrsHelm1012
on 7/24/11 3:52 am, edited 7/24/11 3:54 am - Washingtonville, PA
I have both PCOS and GERD. I knew the GERD wouldnt go away with the VSG, but it was before and is still now, extremely well controlled with Prilosec. (I also had a hiatal hernia diagnosed before and repaired during surgery. They are notorious for causing GERD. It may be that you have one, and simply fixing that, will fix your GERD) No issues there. I did not get the same information about PCOS as you. I was told by several Doctors in the Weight Loss Clinic, and my Surgeon that it is very likely that my PCOS will be resolved with the Sleeve. It is not the surgery itself that reverses PCOS, it is weight loss... Which obviously occurs with either surgery. I say if your heart is set on the Sleeve, get the Sleeve. If you are not sure, do some research on your own, like you are now. I would hate to see you go with one surgery over the other just because you felt pressured into it by your Surgeon. I know I would just not be happy with the RNY. My surgeon also said that in time, they believe the VSG will replace the RNY as the golden procedure.

USAF Wife
on 7/24/11 4:19 am
This is my thought-process on all of your concerns. What can you live with for the rest of your life??? Taking a PPI to control reflux, or take double the amount of vitamins/supplements due to the malabsorption with RNY and battle the vitamin deficiencies that are common with RNY? ? ? Check out the revision forum on here and go back a few pages and read all the RNY patients that are looking to revise because of weight regain or other complications with pouch/stoma stretching, or other complications.

As for PCOS, I didn't have it, but I agree with the previous poster that stated that PCOS resolves with weight loss and both surgeries will give you that option.

Personally, I'll take a PPI over having a pouch any day of the week. Not to mention that you only get malabsorption of calories/fat/sugar/carbs for about 2 years with RNY then you're left with just the restriction of a pouch. It's called intestinal adaptation in intestinal bypass patients. The body adjusts and starts absorbing all of those calories/carbs/fats, but will never absorb those vitamin nutrients and vitamins.

Here's a picture that explains it:

If your heart is set on VSG, get VSG. Your surgeon gets to cut on you, You are the one that has to live the life post-op with the surgery you choose, NOT him. On the other topic on the forum today, I posted my reasons for VSG over RNY for my revision from the band if you'd like to check it out. There will be lots of answers in there as well as there were 3-4 topics posted in the last 2 days, just go back a couple of days and read all the replies.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Asecondchanceatlife
on 7/24/11 5:32 am
Best wishes to you! Here is a quote: "Whether you decide you can or you can't, you're right!"
frostylost
on 7/24/11 6:12 pm

Thanks to all for your helpful responses and God bless!

Most Active