Will I Ever Be Able To Eat Again?

JenniferER
on 7/26/11 8:47 am - MI
I am 27 days out from surgery and really am having doubts whether I will be able to ever eat again.  Every bit of food has been a struggle.  I have even been hospitalized 2x since surgery for dehydration and nausea.  I really thought things were turning around.  Since being discharged las Thursday, I have tried to up my daily calorie count by 35-50 a day.  I am on IV nutrition now every night so the time frame is not urgent.  Friday I ate 265 calories with Saturday at 314 and Sunday at 365.  Yesterday I made it to 399.  I was aiming for 450 today but tried an ounce of tuna (an ounce for the girl who used to be able to eat 7000 calories a day!).  It made me violently ill for hours.  I am only at 180 for the day and have no idea if I can get anything else in.

I am SO frustrated.  I am trying so hard to eat and drink.  I feel good with the IV nutrition but I can't live being tethered up for 12 hours a night.  My physician had hoped it would only be for a week or two but I don't know how to get out of this cycle.  I have tried very small portions, self hypnosis, large quantities of anti-nausea meds etc.  The kicker is that due to all of the IV fluids and calories I have actually gained weight!  8.5 pounds in 11 days.  I am still down 24 pounds but still!!!

I want my old stomach back!!!

Sorry to be so complainey but no one I know understands what I am going through including my husband who had surgery the same day.  He has lost 39.5 pounds in 40 days since the pre-surgical diet.  All foods are agreeing with him and he feels great.

It will get better, right???????

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Jennifer ER   VSG 6/29/11  RNY 10/26/11   

roseselene
on 7/26/11 9:07 am
I am so sorry you're feeling this way!! I had my surgery the day before you and I can sort of relate, but not to that extreme.  I've been in the ER once for IV fluids, but I haven't been readmitted.  Every bite I take and every drink I take is a huge struggle.  I'm no where near my minimums and I feel like i'm on the road you're on.  I've wondered every day if this isn't going to get better.  I haven't posted much about it because I don't want to seem like a downer.  But I seriously can't tolerate much of anything in my stomach. I know people post about being able to drink lots of water.  I can't drink more than 2 ounces without feeling it for a long time.  I really hope it gets better soon for us!
Amy
CW: 255 SW: 234 

cindibarre
on 7/26/11 9:45 am - Danforth, ME
Can you get liquids down?  How about something like ricotta cheese or greek yogurt?

Hang in there.  Look at your progress you have been increasing intake.  Stick to the things that go down easily and slowly add solids.

I'm in my second week of liquid pre-op diet.

Cindi

HW - 351 SW 0 342  SurgW - 298!  1st. Seminar July 2010 Surgery  August 1, 2011  
Jenny C.
on 7/26/11 10:35 am
Do either of you gals that have been experiencing this have a working diagnosis on WHY from your surgeons?  Are there other folks who experienced this who feel like you got a reasonable explanation?  I think it's something all pre-ops should know about as a possibility, and maybe pooling info on how to deal/how long to expect it to last.  I'm so sorry this is happening for you, and hope that it resolves quickly.  Do not feel like a downer!!!!!  You are experiencing this, and this is a good place to post & get info--that's what the boards are for!

Thinking of you!
Jenny

hpowers
on 7/26/11 10:59 am - Marysville, CA
I am a week out of surgery and have had some of the same issues. I am not able to get even close to the amount of fluids I am suppose to. My first day home I was unable to stop vommiting, there was nothing to vomit but my stomach kept dry heaving. My doctor ordered me the patch that goes behing your ear for nausea, but it really didn't help. Then he ordered supossitories and that saved my life. I had to take those twice a day for about three days and they sure helped me keep down the liquids and not feel nausious. I struggle with fatgue and weekness, but continue to plug along. Things will get better I am sure of it!! Small steps and like the above lady said, go back to the things your stomac can handle like water and shakes. Good luck!

Gonna be like Daisy Duke

amystimetoshine
on 7/26/11 3:02 pm - Pleasant Hill, CA
Hi.   I just wanted to say to all of you who are early out and having problems...  that I really truly understand and my experience is it does get WAY better.  I was on TPN for a LONG time and I did have a few surgical complications (serious acid AND Bile reflux, lacerated spleen, possible stricture (no real agreement between surgeons, gastroenterologist and radioulogist on that one) --  I hesitated to answer b/c I dont want to scare anyone...  but I have been off tpn for over a month, my albumin is finally normal, my energy is doing better, I can eat tiny amounts of anything soft and moist  now.  I had similar calorie counts for the 1st 4 months post op.  It didn't stay that way.  I felt at your point that it would never get better.  I highly recommend finding a way to make friens with greek yogurt  I seriously resisted that -- I hated it at first but it made a HUGE difference.  I added smuckers sf strawberry sauce or torani syrup to it and it really helped.  The key for me was 3 things:  AVOID dehydration...  sip sip sip --- I wasnt great at that and relied way too heavily on tpn for my liquids and that kept me on it longer.  2nd was to increase my liquid/soft protein and forget about the density rules and diet advancing that others at my same point were doing....  I had to navigate my way based on what I could tolerate and needed to stop comparing myself to them b/c it was really depressing!!  3rd remember hat the IV fluids/feeding are very high in dextrose (sugar) so they cause you to retain fluid...  I  negotiated with my doctors to put the dextrose in the solution at the absolute lowest they could and still be stable....  I also had to remind myself that it is WATER weight.  I also found that rather than weighing 1st thing in am but instead in the evening before I started the infusion helped my psyche majorly.  I lost a HUGE amount when I decreased my TPN and another chunk when I stopped it altogether.  I am 9 months out now diwn 137 lbs..  I have more energy, am more mobile, have less pain....   dont regret the surgery at all...  I had a VERY  rocky start...  2 months in the hospital, 3 or 4 gi procedures, 6 months of various amounts of tpn...  and I swear to you at 9 months out my life is soooo much better and the surgery was very worth it...  I do know it may not feel like it at the moment for you....  but I also know I would have liked to hear at your point from someone who has been to hell and is now firmly and gratefully back and better..   Hang in there!  ((hug))  Amy

HW 319   SW  277  CW 180  GW 169
hpowers
on 8/2/11 10:17 am - Marysville, CA
WOW! I have no words for all of that. I appreciate deeply all you shared with us. I am glad to hear that you are doing better too. It's hard at times getting through these little things, thinking that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you for making me believe there is!! Helena

Gonna be like Daisy Duke

Kilaani
on 7/26/11 8:52 pm - Las Vegas, NV
at not even 4 weeks out I wouldn't be worrying about calories at all. Sip, sip, sip. Set a timer for two minutes and take 1 sip every two minutes - not a big gulp, just a tiny sip. That may help. I wouldn't be trying to get 1oz in all at once.

Jill - revision - band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain
440/140/149  hw/cw/gw - 5'5" -300lbs -- bmi 73.2 to 24.8 :) GOAL MET 10/26/10!!.... Even made 140 September 2012. Been ranging 4-6lbs from 144-146 since then. Back to 140 December 2012, hoping to see it again after I feel better and start working out. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views