100 lbs gone since surgery - 113 from highest :)

Jasonm11
on 8/1/11 12:00 pm
While weighing myself at the gym, I crossed the 100 pounds since surgery mark at about 4 and 3/4 months out.  I thought it would take longer due to that little spot I had with fighting carb addiction that caused a two week long stall.  I ate the mess out of some stupid junk and denied the fact to myself until I finally snapped out of it and kicked it back to the curb.

The wife and I have been doing a class called high intesity training that is a mix of cardio and muscle building.  After the first class, I literally was unable to walk for almost three days I was so sore.  I had to crawl up stairs the second day after to get to my office.  I have never felt that sore in my life.  Worse than surgery ever was.  Since then the class has gotten easier and I am much less sore each time. 

My weight loss has slowed signifigantly but I am ok with that.  I'm down to about 3 pounds a week which I think is still fast enough and I feel it is healthy on the long term.  My protein stays at about 60-70 per day, carbs under 20, fat I don't pay too much attention too other than to count it but I won't avoid a meat because it is high in fat, and I get around 1000 calories a day.  I have zero problems getting in fluid now and can take mini gulps, which is two decent size swallows at one time.  Prolly about 1.5 ounces I'd say.  I can then do it again after about 2 minutes.  It is like 'normal' drinking now. 

A typical day for me is:
Breakfast: 2 pieces of bacon and one medium egg
Lunch: 3-4 oz of chicken or shrimp eaten over the course of an hour or two.
Dinner: 2-3 oz of a meat with about 2 ounces of a cheese.

I rarely snack anymore because I kept letting carbs creep in my snacks.  I got addicted to these peanut butter crackers that were loaded with suger.  I finally threw them out and broke that habit so I just avoid snacks.  If I get to feeling I really need something to shut my head up, I'll microwave me a half slice of bacon and that will more than do the trick.

The most difficult thing for me has been eating enough since I don't do protein shakes.  I haven't since week 2 as they make me horribly sick to my stomach and I never once have gotten one in without puking.  I have to really slow down my eating.  Like for breakfast, it is so annoying that I can;t finish my breakfast before it gets cold.  I can eat cold bacon but I hate cold eggs.  I have gotten to where I eat a piece of bacon while my egg is cooking and that helps me to make it through about half an egg before it gets cold.  Some days I can't finish all of one meal.  It is weird how day to day my amount I can eat changes. 

As i always do, I'll throw in the disclaimer that I in no way advocate getting off of protein drinks.  Everyone has advised me against it except the one doctor who I see often, not my surgeon, and can help keep track of my eating habits.  Protein is a requirement and low protein is nothing to be messed with.  If you are having trouble with protein shakes, try different ones and talk to your doctors staff before you even consider stopping them.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
percheron
on 8/1/11 12:06 pm
That is awesome.  Thank you for sharing your great great news and accomplishment!  I'm waiting for my insurance approval and hope to be traveling that road to losing very very soon.  Congratulations! 
Nancy B.
on 8/1/11 12:24 pm - Bridge City, TX
VSG on 08/27/11 with
I always love reading the guys' success stories because I can share them with my husband for encouragement.  He and I are both being sleeved at the end of the month and he has quite a bit to lose (probably 150 lbs or so).

Keep up the good work, sounds like you're doing great!
-Nancy 

HW 238    Starting Weight 227   Surgery Weight 212   CW 155
Height 5'5"            Lost 9 lbs. pre-op, and another 6 lbs. on the liquid diet.
Ulysses
on 8/1/11 12:32 pm

Big time congrats dude!
I am right behind you on the century mark - 9lbs to go. I had my VSG on 4/26
That's too bad you can' get the shakes down, so easy to get the protein with them.
Looks like your doing great without them though...
I am also doing good with "mini-gulps" - it sure helps getting the fluids in.
Good luck getting to goal  - you are real close.
Regards,

Jason

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

C. Champion
on 8/1/11 12:41 pm - Minneapolis, MN
Great job!! I have to buy the Soy protein powder because I am allergic to milk, maybe you have developed an allergy?
Either way it sounds like you are doing fantasti****ep up the good work and I hope to be loosing very soon as well, surgery in one week for me!
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

CCWannabe
on 8/1/11 2:21 pm
Hi, I am new here.  Been reading the board while waiting for insurance approval.  Just a thought.  How about getting one of those plates used for feeding babies that you can put ho****er in to keep the food warm.  Maybe that will keep the egg warm enough for you to enjoy it.
BJUpNorth
on 8/1/11 2:22 pm - MN
You are doing so great. Way to work that sleeve!

theshrinkingmimi
on 8/2/11 7:25 am
Thanks for the update and the details.  The details really do help me stay focused. Congratulations on the weight loss and the work outs.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 163 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 438 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 458 views