Feeling yucky

Steph4575
on 7/29/11 12:41 pm - TX
Hi all, I haven't introduced myself, my name is Stephanie and I just joined this group for some support.  My husband is deployed right now, and we have two daughters, ages 6 and 9.  I have a lot of support from my friends, not much from my family though.  I am scheduled for surgery on Tuesday, but I have an issue.  I've been on the liquids diet for four days now, and I'm feeling extremely drained, and light headed.  I'm tired, and feel sick.  I'm drinking a lot of the protein drinks, getting in anywhere from 70-90 g of protein, and then about 20-30 g of carbs.  Today has been really really bad for me, I've also started getting really shaky.  I thought I could do the liquids but I'm questioning my ability.  I just cannot go into the kitchen at all because I'm so hungry.  The first day, my daughter needed me to open a can of soup and I looked at it, and almost couldn't control myself.  Luckily, I did and turn it away.  The next day, I ended up eating a slice of cheese, yesterday I was fine, and today I feel so incredibly drained and icky that its hard for me to NOT go find something to eat.  Maybe its a mental thing, maybe it isn't.  Whatever it is, it is really taking a toll on me.  =(
Any experiences, or help or advice would be really great.  Thank you.

DrHollywood
on 7/29/11 12:42 pm, edited 7/29/11 12:42 pm - Harbor City, CA
Welcome ...please add me as a friend.  I am on every night and we can meebo chat.

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

IrishColleen
on 7/29/11 12:48 pm - Owosso, MI
 Are you getting all of your fluids in???  It's possible you're dehydrating.  

It does get easier every day.  And you're lucky!  You only had to do it for a week pre-op!  Some do it for 2 or more weeks!

You can do this.  Just stay focused on the goal.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity and fear but a spirit of power and love and self discipline."  2 Tim. 1:7     So with HIS power, love and self-discipline - I WILL DO THIS!
HW:250 SW: 232 CW: 164  GW: 150 
Steph4575
on 7/29/11 1:10 pm - TX
I think I'm getting in all of my fluids.  I keep a 32 oz bottle of water with me all day and usually refill it 5x or more.
I do realize that I'm lucky in that sense, I just don't know how everyone else does it!?!  I've been feeling starved the past four days and it doesn't seem to be getting easier yet.  I have three more days though, and I've already made it through the first four, I just have to keep pushing.  Thanks for the advice.

Stephanie
Jan G.
on 7/29/11 1:13 pm - WI
It may be a blood sugar issue. CALL your dietician's office or at least your surgeon's. But Dietician knows this stuff and how to help..its their job.

Are you taking in the protein shakes that have equal protein with nearly equal carbs?? Getting in all your other fluids? Cuz the last part is getting SUGAR in your clear fluids so to keep your blood sugar level.

Dieticians are on call or working at least Saturdays in hospital.

Hope you feel better..and soon!!

Hugs, Jan
chunkymonkey1991
on 7/29/11 1:26 pm
I lucked out and only need a 2 day liquid diet. The nutritionist i spoke to about the pre-op diet said that if you felt like that - light headed and weak- you could eat one of those small little containers of applesauce. could be low blood sugar? good luck!
Steph4575
on 7/29/11 1:31 pm - TX
I will give someone a call asap.  It might be low blood sugar.  Everything that they told me to drink has protein, and not many carbs.  Everything else is sugar free.  I've had a headache since the second day but just figured it was from lack of coffee, sugar, food, oh and sugar alcohols.
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it, and I will call someone tomorrow sometime and hopefully figure it out.  The night that I slipped and ate an avocado, I felt soo much better for the rest of the evening, and the next day even.  This is tougher than it sounds!!  =)
colelea613
on 7/29/11 1:34 pm, edited 7/29/11 1:34 am - LA
I have cheated on the liquid diet....
I went for my pre-op appointment at the hospital and the nurse was said I had lost 6 pounds. She was impressed. I got on the scale today another two pounds. I cut out my favorite Starbucks and sweet tea. I have had a salad about every third day.

We will get sleeved on the same day. The doctor never said anything about a liquid diet but since I had lap-band in 2005 I knew that losing some wieght would make my liver smaller.

Lets be friends
    Cole

bersjourney
on 7/29/11 1:42 pm
I'm new and not very educated with WLS or the preperation but from my personal experience with juice and water fasting, maybe your body is going through a detox period too. When we go on liquid our bodies detox because the digestive system is being able to take a break. IDK though. I'd listen to the others, they have experience with the pre op diet. Hope you feel better soon.
  Ber HT: 5'0 ~ 1st GW: 199 "My journey starts within myself."
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
(deactivated member)
on 7/29/11 1:55 pm
Usually the liquid pre-op diet is high protein, low carb.. which it sounds like you are on by the numbers (what does your plan call for, are you hitting the targets?)

It really sounds like you are just having the low-carb, low cal blahs.. it's a shocker to your body to go from running on a typical carb-rich diet to having to burn through it's glycogen stores.. aka "shrinking the liver" is actually using up the slippery glycogen on/in it- makes it less slick & floppy. Call your Dr., but don't worry.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views