Nervous about taking off of work for surgery

tillmadd
on 8/6/11 3:39 pm - WI
I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice and reassurance. I was hoping to be scheduled for surgery by mid-August as I am a elementary school teacher and school starts Sept 1. I am waiting for insurance approval and highly doubt I will make that deadline. My surgery cannot be put of too long as my type 2 diabetes is worsening. How can I justify taking time away from my students to get this surgery in late Aug or early Sept??? Any advise?
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

tanieanie
on 8/6/11 4:07 pm - WI
Hello,  I had a similar situation as I work for CESA.  I finally just told the Director of education that I had a medical issue that needed surgery and had a letter from my surgeon saying that recovery would take a month.  That seemed to satisfy them.   Remember that this is a medical procedure you need or the surgeon wouldn't have suggested it.  By the way... what part of WI are you in?

tillmadd
on 8/7/11 3:24 am - WI
 Tanieanie- I am in Milwaukee you can email me privately on [email protected] ...I would like to hear more about your sleeve experience. Deb
anewsweetjessa
on 8/6/11 6:51 pm - IA
Tanieanie I have to say CESA was amazing for me as a Teen age mom just want4ed to give you some credit where credit was due Keep up the amazing work
tanieanie
on 8/7/11 12:05 am - WI
Thank you,  I love my job!  It gives me the oppertunity to help and feel good about what Ive done when I go home.  Of course there are always those hard cases.

tanya

michele287
on 8/6/11 11:22 pm
My surgeon said I could return to work in 10-14 days. I don't think you'll need a month. I am 11 days post-op and feel like I could go back to work. The only thing that I couldn't do right now is lift. You may feel tired, but you could get through the first week or so. I feel more energetic and more like myself every day. Good Luck!

Michele     
J.e.t.
on 8/7/11 1:34 am
 My surgeon said I could probably go back to work in 4-5 days or so.  I never see anyone here talk about going back that soon though.  I'm hoping that I can, because I really want to save my time off for vacation rather than recovery!  That being said, I do have a desk job, and a couch in my office so I can lie down if I need to, and also the flexibility to be able to go home if I'm not feeling well. Obviously teaching is a whole different ball game from that.  I agree with being straight forward with your employer, this is something that you need and you are not in control of the surgery schedule.
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views