HELP

Kristina M.
on 8/9/11 12:39 pm - LA

I am schelduled for surgery on August 11.  Now I have people calling me and trying to change my mind.  They are saying how dangerous it is.  Also saying they know people that have gained the weight back.  And that I am not going to eat enough to be healthly and cause other health problems.  This is really making me upset.  Please give me some opinion on this. 

SassyItalian
on 8/9/11 12:45 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

I am guessing that you researched this surgery, went to all the appointments and meetings, and did what you needed to do to be informed.

MANY of us had people trying to talk us out of it, people who told us they knew someone who died, people who told us we would gain all the weight back. Trust me, I myself was there. My family was very against me doing this. Friends, co-workers, they all seemed to know someone whos uncles cousins sister was on life support at age 28 from complications of bariatric surgery. Its all useless NOISE!!!!

But let me tell you this...THIS WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE. I PUT MYSELF FIRST. I DROWNED ALL THE NOISE FROM OTHERS OUT. AND I HAVE MY LIFE BACK.

Yes, there is a tiny chance you could have a complication, and yes you can gain weight if you dont follow your plan and decide to keep your old habits.

But being overweight is a definite life ender. Period. Morbid obesity slowly kills us and shortens our life. And makes the quality of our shortened life sh*tty. Please stand firm and make peace wth your decison.

You will get the support from others hopefully when they see you doing well. and in the meantime you can lean on your OH family for support!!!!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Kristina M.
on 8/9/11 1:26 pm - LA
thanks so much.  I appreciate all of your help :)
katier825
on 8/9/11 12:56 pm
Don't answer the phone!  Seriously though, that was the very reason I only told a couple of people before I had the surgery.  I didn't want anyone else to sway me.  I NEEDED to do this. 

Most people are not informed enough about the different procedures to really understand what the risks are.  They are probably thinking of RNY, which is the procedure most will have heard about.  Being overweight has it's own risks, some probably higher risk than the surgery.  People who are not overweight don't understand that you can't just eat less and exercise more.  You have a chance to make it work for you.  Once you start losing, you feel good about yourself and you KNOW that you can do it.  It really changes your whole outlook on life.  I have not had even one second of regret, and was very calm going into it.  I had complete confidence in my doctor and I knew that if I didn't do it, I would likely be morbidly obese, diabetic for the rest of my life, which by my family's past history, would have been a short one.

Do what you need to do for YOU, not for anyone else.  Good luck!

Kristina M.
on 8/9/11 1:25 pm - LA
Thanks so much.  This really helps me a lot.
(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 1:43 pm
None of these people researched anything and they are just guessing or repeating anecdotal tales they've heard (or worse- making it up!) The best thing to do, is not take any calls.. let your machine get it- and just ignore it for now. You will not be able to argue with them, and it will only frustrate you. 

If you need to talk with any of them, just tell them "thanks for your concern, but I am under my doctors care, and I am very well informed about what is going to happen. My health will be much better for it, and I would appreciate your support along the way. If you cannot support me, please refrain from commenting."

Sometimes we need to cut ties with people, sometimes only temporarily- sometimes permanently. Some may truly care and may just be ignorant about the subject, but some may want you to stay just the way you are.. it's sick, but true. You are so close to the date- I think you'd be best served by just not taking or returning their calls. You want to walk into this as calm as possible, this won't help! :)

mp2003
on 8/9/11 1:52 pm, edited 8/9/11 1:53 pm
Its your choice and your choice alone. you have done the research and they are talking out of fear and ignorance.  Just stay off the phones and away from everyone till surgery day! everything will be fine and you will do great!! congrats on taking care of YOU!!!!!!
HW:264.4   6/22/11    SW:250   7/19/11    CW:238.8  8/24/11   1GW:202   

Kristina M.
on 8/9/11 8:54 pm - LA
thanks for your help:)
Marcia B.
on 8/9/11 4:49 pm - CA
My mother did the same thing the day before surgery and when I was freaked at the hospital and crying, but as my husband put it.  You have done all the research and know the pros and the cons and the possibilities but you make the best choice you can, and it's for you and your health and no one else.  Good luck. Try not to let them scare you.
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Kristina M.
on 8/9/11 8:53 pm - LA
thanks for helping me :)
Most Active