Victory at the movies

Sweettard
on 8/11/11 11:08 pm
So went to the movies to see The Help with my daughter yesterday.  Now I have gone one other time since surgery to the movies.  The first time I took a shake and I did indulge in some popcorn eating.  However yesterday I talked myself through my plan of action for not eating popcorn on this adventure.  I had her keep it on the oppostite side of me and when I had a bad urge to have some, just to keep myself busy during the movie I popped in a piece of gum instead.   I know we shouldn't have gum (don't know the reason behind that) but it was my popcorn undulging saver for the moment and the lesser of two evils if you will.  Anyway I am very proud of mysellf for not having any, but more so because I went in with a plan and stuck to it.

Stephanie
To close your eyes and dream is one thing, but to wake up and make it reality is allowing yourself to not be defeated by youself or others.      

SW 258.6     CW 206.4     GW 130

LosingLZ
on 8/11/11 11:26 pm
Very nice!  That is one I haven't tackled yet, but I think that was a great idea!  I think the more you can plan your actions, the better the results will be, but you got past that great smell, too!  Congratulations!!
anninva
on 8/11/11 11:33 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
Stephanie!!!  that's great!! going to the movies is one of the first challenges i faced too.  i LOVE movie popcorn but actually haven't had it since my surgery (7 mos Weds), which is a miracle!  sounds like you came up with some great techniques!  i think the gum-chewing thing is probably like the drinking diet coke thing -- my NUT basically said about drinking soda: it will make you burp; it will not make your stomach expand.  so, i drink it, as well as a latte a day.  i think we're all different and if the gum didn't bother you, you should just knock yourself out and keep using it as a popcorn protective device!!

Congrats!!!  Big move!!!!  i couldn't live without the movies, so i feel ya!  have fun!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

blakereimert
on 8/12/11 12:01 am - TX
I do eat popcorn. I get a junior bag and eat about 1/2 of it. Approx 1 1/2 cups. It is air popped and not too bad with calories or carbs. I eat a no carb diet (or less than 20 carbs a day) so I feel indulging once in a while is with popcorn is okay. I eat one at a time... lol but it satisfies the hand mouth thing and the taste while im enjoying the show. I dont eat candy or drink soda at all and I dont miss it.

You are doing great!! Keep up the good work!!

Sweettard
on 8/12/11 12:46 am
I'm to scared to even try it again.  I feel if I look at it I gain, but maybe again in maintenance when I have more control over how and what.

Thank you so much!  Keep up the great work!!!!

Stephanie
To close your eyes and dream is one thing, but to wake up and make it reality is allowing yourself to not be defeated by youself or others.      

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 12:17 am
The reason you should not eat gum- if you swallow it it can get stuck or obstruct your passage way into your stomach. Can mean big problems!
Sweettard
on 8/12/11 12:49 am
Oh thank you for sharing that.  I am not nor have a I been a gum swallower....  I hate the way it feels in my tummy, like I just swallowed some silly putty...LOL....  I will be extra careful though.

Stephanie

Jan G.
on 8/12/11 2:10 am - WI
Thanks for sharing this. I am just 1 week out and enjoying "smells" of food LOL

But before surgery, I would bring my own popcorn in a tote bag. There are the smaller kernel kind or larger, but would toss it with parmasean cheese seasoning..a special kind..not too salty but a slight cheesy taste..yum.

How did you like that movie, The Help?

Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

Punkinchan
on 8/12/11 7:36 am
I've been dying to go to the movies but the thought of smelling popcorn and not being able to eat any terrifies me!  Especially since I sit in the 21 and over seating area where popcorn is free with your ticket!!!  I'm going to try and mabye sneak some sugar free hard candies in with me when I finally build up the courage to go to the movies.  I've really been looking forward to seeing The Keep too. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views