What can you eat a few months out? questions...

chunkymonkey1991
on 8/15/11 8:16 am
I have a couple questions...

-I'm about to enter my 2nd week post-op and on thursday i get to start having one 3 oz. meal a day with mushy foods. luckily my nutritionist isn't making me blend everything, just have soft foods like egg, tuna salad, cheese, etc. why can I only have one meal a day? is my stomach acid not running enough or is it still swollen? once I get farther out how can I tell if chicken is "too tough"? if I do accidently eat something that's too tough or whatever could that actually hurt my sleeve or just cause me discomfort that will teach me a lesson?

any pearls of wisdom you would like to pass down? i know that red meat is out for at least the first 3 months but pretty much everything is all good? tuna, turkey cold cuts, salmon, soft chicken, and stuff. advise please (besides tiny bites and eat slowly) ;)!
Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

sianabob
on 8/15/11 8:58 am
My plan is different.. so I will tell you what I have personally done.. they suggested I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks.. I tend to eat 2 meals and 3 snacks.. always high protien.. when I was about 4-5 months out I learned if something was not going to work just by chewing it.. so I have ended up spiting quite a bit out before I swallow it.. things that swell are never comfortable.. and generally not on plan anyways.  If it doesnt easily chew up I just take that as being too tough... if I wouldnt give it to a 2 year old without being worried if they will choke I leave it alone... well except jerky.. I love jerky..  You will learn from your sleeve, and will recognize the feelings and what they mean rather quickly.. each phase is a complete different learning process.. 
I did eat red meats earlier than 3 months because it did sit better for me than chicken did.. (plus my husband is the master at marinades and what not so it was always super tender.) That was my plan though

does your nut have a good list of what is allowed on your plan? that may be where to start.. have you asked your nut why they are allowing one meal a day? are they wanting you to do more shakes in the begining?

chunkymonkey1991
on 8/15/11 9:21 am
after 2 weeks were you allowed to have 3 meals of mushy foods or was your plan different? I guess I will end up getting the feel for what works and what doesn't. There is some red meat that is softer and there's a place in my town that sells really good gyro meat (lamb). Does that have too much fat? It's really soft so I was wondering if it's be ok to mix things up and have that every once in a while...
Please visit my blog at chunkymonkey6491.blogspot.com  

Smardeepants
on 8/15/11 9:48 am
I am 7 weeks out today.

I at soft (non-pureed) foods from the beginning, and never had carby ones. Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, tuna, baked fish, etc for 1 mo. I did eat crunchy cheese, which I LOVED during this otherwise mushy phase.

At 1month, I moved to including chicken, turkey, deli meats, etc. Red meat is not on my plan until 3mos post-op, but I recently have started eating some beef jerky (which I LOVE) and ground (mixed w/ turkey). I've had no problems with anything, other than egg.

I LOVED eggs before, but now they gross me out, and sit funny in my stomach. It's hard to explain, other than a heavy, gross feeling. I avoid refried beans for the same reason. I chew very well, take tiny bites, and never ate the recommended serving size. (I didn't hit 2oz- which is only occasional, and would be too much of anything but shrimp or something super soft like yogurt****il about a week ago. I stayed around 1ounce (by volume... which is 2 Tablespoons****il 6 weeks post-op. Any more would leave me burping, foamy, slimy, etc... which are all signs of too much food.

My plan is to "eat" 4X a day and supplement where needed with protein. I work out, and still fight hypoglycemia, so I eat about every 2-3 hours (or, 5-6 times/day). Today was this...

BF: protein drink made w/skim milk

Snack: 1oz almonds (about 20... didn't quite finish)

Lunch: 1oz. turkey/beef mixture meatball with mozerella and some homemade sauce

Snack: 1/4cup of philly cheesesteak casserole (eggface website)... thin sliced roast beef, cheese, peppers, onions, etc). Didn't quite finish.

Dinner: Will be about 2 ounces of grilled shrimp (yum) maybe a bite or two of veggies.

Snack: maybe/maybe not. If yes, probably protein ice cream or crunchy cheese. (another YUM!)

Smardeepants
on 8/15/11 9:55 am
I would check with your surgeon about what's allowed, and don't feel pressure to eat all of the different foods before you're ready. Meaning, just because you CAN have chicken, don't rush if you're still content/doing ok on softer foods (like baked fish).

I would personally start with the softer foods, and gradually move up. Meaning, give yourself/body/sleeve time to learn what it's like to eat, swallow, chew, feel full. Nerves and everything have been cut in your little sleeve, so you can't always judge by "feel". Stick with your surgeon's plan, and don't rush.

I ate about 1/2oz (or 1T. ) my first meal. (egg scrambled with cheese). I stopped at the very first sign of pressure or feeling in my tummy. I try to do that now, and stop where I'm content (rather than too full). If I overdo it, I will feel pressure, or have several (loud!) hiccups in a row.

Feelings of full/hungry/satisfied are all different now, and for me had to be re-learned. As far as chewing, my surgeon recommended chewing 30times per bite... even in the beginning when things are soft. (Digestion starts in the mouth, it helps you slow down, and it builds good habits for later when you're eating real food).

I can tell if it's too tough by how it feels when I'm chewing. Again, you'll learn this along the way.

Good luck, and if you haven't done so, check out eggface's blog for tons of great recipes/ideas. I have made a TON of different things, and have loved them all.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views