I need help ASAP!!!

Dolphinsrayne
on 8/21/11 2:50 am - MI
I had my surgery 2 months ago and my doctor put me on Prilosec for 60 days following surgery.  I have been off of the Prilosec now for about 5 days and I am either having a heart attack or some serious acid reflux.  I never had acid reflux before surgery but my surgeon said that the prilosec was just cautionary for after surgery.  I have not anything to eat today except my protein shake this morning.  The acid reflux came on right after I took my meds and then I was doing alot of bending cleaning the bathroom that kind of thing.  The pain is most noticable in my throat but started in my chest......its a very uncomfortable burning sensation....do I need to be worried?  What is it??  HELP ME....

HW:359  June 1st: 299.5 SW: 276.5     
Citykitty
on 8/21/11 2:57 am - Sydney, Canada
Hi,

Sounds like good ole fashioned heartburn to me.  I know I am on Nexium and have been for the past ten years or so.  It works the same way prilosec does I believe.  If I don't take that I often get heartburn.  I would suggest you check with the pharmacist and get some over the counter acid reflux medicine (Zantac is good) and try that before you get too excited thinking about a heart attack.

SassyItalian
on 8/21/11 2:57 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
definitely call the surgeons line, you may get a resident or another doc in the bariatric center but speak with someone who can guide you on whether you need to go to the hospital to be safe or if it can wait until you speak with your surgeon tomorrow.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Valerie K.
on 8/21/11 2:57 am - Dearborn, MI
 you sound like me when I get acid reflux. I drink milk it helps me just a little tums also. But if your scared and do not know what it really is than go to the hospital. I would not play around with this or call your doctor.

Mine has an answering service than my doc will call me back he might be able to order you something or tell you to just go to the hospital.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/11 3:33 am, edited 8/21/11 3:34 am
Agreed with everyone above- and it does sound like acid. Get some Gaviscon liquid for immediate relief and see if that stops it- then grab some OTC Prilosec and get back onto 1 a day (takes a few days to kick in fully). Talk to your Dr as well.. FYI, you cannot/should not just stop PPIs cold. The rebound acid is often worse than ever.. You may need them longer, or you may just need to taper off them slowly. Edited to add: mine has me on them for 6 mo.. you may need them a bit longer..

The best way to taper: go from taking 1 a day to 1 every other day for a few weeks.. then break in half, take half every day for several weeks, then try either breaking into thirds or taking 1/2 tab every other day.. you may need a breakthrough acid controller like Zantac 75.. I have been on PPIs for years, and have tapered off once, but decided to get back onto them prior to surgery again. There's good google articles on how to wean off PPIs.. 
dragonflydiva
on 8/21/11 5:56 am
I very rarely had heartburn before surgery and now I still get it sometimes. It's not just acid reflux for me... it's everything reflux. Not as bad as at first. Keep prilosec and tums (or whatever works) close at hand. It does get better!
 It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot  

5'10"  Pre-op 315  SW 307  CW 216 SGW 174 MGW 160

Grumpy_old_man
on 8/21/11 6:33 am
The advice for heartburn above is good. You probably have heartburn. HOWEVER, you do not want to take a chance it is not a heart attack or other heart related problems that may have surfaced. I would call surgeon now or go to ER to make sure.
its4maya
on 8/21/11 2:46 pm - Cypress, CA
My surgeon said I'd be on Prilosec for a year after surgery! Hope you find some relief fast.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 245 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 313 views