Hormones

Tiffany B.
on 8/26/11 10:24 am - Scottsburg, IN

Ok, so has anyone else had major hormone issues since surgery? I am trying to figure out if I should call the Dr. or not. Today was a bad day for me. Cried off and on all day for no reason at all. I feel like I'm pregnant again with all these hormonal changes. Just so you know, there is NO way I am pregnant, just saying the hormones are making me feel that way. I had surgery August 1st and have had 2 heavy periods now already. Help, my poor son is gonna go crazy if this keeps up!

MN_Mama
on 8/26/11 10:39 am
Totally with you Tiffany.  I'm 6 months out yesterday and my hormones have just recently started to even out with my weight loss slowing down a bit.   

My 100 lbs was in the first 5 months, I'll find out where I'm at next week, but that's a lot of weight to shed in a short time. 

Our bodies store hormones and other chemicals in fat cells, so as they shrink, we get double doses--  what was in the cells as well as what we produce each day.   To make matters worse (yes, sorry), the system shock of anesthesia messes our system up even more, according to my doctor. 

I was a total mess for about a month and a half, then the surgical shock part of the hormone based screaming meemies went away.  The good news is I was still a little crazy, but not "get in the corner and tell the voices to leave me alone now!!" crazy. 

My doctor telling me it was normal helped me to see it coming and breath through some of it.  Some of it, I just had to cry it out.  Now that I'm losing less weight per month I don't have "out of nowhere" moments very often at all. 

You can do it.   Use your exercise to de-stress, keep your long term goals in mind and know this is a temporary thing.    Keep on sharing-- venting is good for de-stressing!! 
Take care.

disabled_nurse
on 8/26/11 10:40 am - Bogalusa, LA
no your not crazy.............all the hormones that are stored in your fat cells you are losing are flooding your system, I cried for 3 weeks.................. all normal my dr said. It gets better,

Tiffany B.
on 8/26/11 11:04 am - Scottsburg, IN
I am glad to know this is "normal". I will deal with the hormones as long as the periods stop. I have had the Mirena since Feb. an hadn't had a real period since then. Now I am cramping and bleeding like crazy. Sorry TMI! I am just hoping it isn't an issue!
Jan G.
on 8/26/11 11:15 am - WI

All "normal" per doc? Easy for him to say...

I went through the alternating hot flashes then shivering the first couple of weeks. But I am post menapause..

But at least you're not eating on these emotions...

It WILL get better.. and better!

Warmly, Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

disabled_nurse
on 8/26/11 11:18 am - Bogalusa, LA
hey tiffany.....................I also bleed like a stuck pig at first, and had really bad cramps!!!!!!!!!  this also gets better too!! Just a few bumps in the road.................... but it will all be worth it in the end!!

sleeverinKC
on 8/27/11 1:01 am
I know that I have been an emotional rollercoster since surgery, I often cry for no reason. When I had my period for the first time after surgery my cramps were HORRIBLE, I thought i was surely going to die, heck I was in more pain from the cramps then my surgery! But now at 6 1/2 weeks out I feel somewhat more in control of the hormones... Then again I'm sure they can strike at any minute, lol!
My Journey to a HEALTHY Mom, Wife, Sister, Daughter, and Friend!!   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views