My last Dt. Mtn. Dew

ib40
on 8/27/11 6:14 am
I hate to admit this, but my addiction to Dt. Mtn. Dew is one of the reasons I have hesitated to have WLS. My first addiction was to the ever-glorious Dr. Pepper. I finally weaned myelf off of the sugar of DP by switching to DMD, that beautifully acidic and caffiene-filled neon green elixir of the gods that gets me through every day. I am probably putting my dentist's children through college because the DMD is hard on tooth enamel, and yet it didn't slow me down. I just started drinking it through a straw.

My my need to be healthy is now more important than my need for soda or caffiene (I don't drink coffee). I have had my last soda, purchased at the check out line at Lowe's as I shopped for paint. I have intentionally decided to start my soda-free life on Saturday, so that I can (hopefully) get through the worst of the caffiene withdrawal during the weekend. I have already put my coworkers on notice that I may be a bit of a b**ch for the next week or so. I'm nervous but weirdly excited at the prospect of kicking the habit. From now on I'm drinking only water.

I bid adieu to the Diet Mtn. Dew.
erinmt1023
on 8/27/11 6:25 am - TX
I had to say goodbye to diet coke yesterday.
ERIN   HW 258/ SW 245/ CW 231/ GW 150
Readyforafreshstart
on 8/27/11 6:27 am
I applaud you! I used to have a serious DMD addiction! Like you, that neon green sweet acid elixir got me through many a day. I had to treat a stomach ulcer about every 6-8 weeks...but somehow seemed worth it. LOL! I would have never been able to quit cold turkey, I weaned off, which was painful like saying goodbye to a good friend dying slowly. After that I kinda fell off the wagon with pepsi max...YUM! Seriously too good to b diet! I'm off all now and surprisingly don't miss it...but now days I have coffee and was never a coffee drinker b4 surgery.
Jackie00
on 8/27/11 6:30 am
I can relate, I was up to 4 LITRES of pepsi a day. It`s on sale today very tempting but I have been off of it for a few months now, nope never lost much weight from giving it up. I would wake and have a glass and would have a glass before I went to bed as well. It could be the reason for my extreme tiredness as well. Pepsi was my addiction for many many years but the last few months I switched to diet drinks and I can go a few days without a soda now and don`t really crave them.

Hopefully you have some time to give it up before surgery, it will be hard enough once you start the liquid diet to have to give up everything at once. I do however have to give all my tea bags away lol and get the non caffeine ones, that might be a battle cause I can drink 2-4 cups of tea a day no problem.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

roundater
on 8/27/11 6:56 am - Lincoln, NE
My last diet beverage was on 6/9/2011 at 6:15 pm at Arby's. I have had enough of the stuff over the years to fill Lake Mead so it was a hard goodbye. I am now used to water and Crystal Light.
Rich Sonderegger

wanttobehalfofme
on 8/27/11 6:56 am - MI
I gave up DMD and Diet coke before surgery. I tried one after surgery when the nut gave their ok for soda didn't like it. So now I drink decaf ice green tea.
ib40
on 8/27/11 9:43 am
So far, so good. I started getting a pretty severe headache about an hour ago. I'm waiting for the Advil to kick in, but it will get better.
(deactivated member)
on 8/27/11 11:53 am
 I was also a DMD fiend, I think I used to drink 5-620 oz bottles a day for the last few years. I quit cold turkey before my 2-28 surgery. God blesses me with a very short withdrawl (over a weekend).

I thought it would be the hardest part of the "new life". I have not looked back once. I have not tried a soda (diet or otherwise) since I quit. I do not regret it, I do not miss it, and I feel better without it. Concentrate on not having to worry about artificially increasing your BP ( which was bad for me since I was taking pilled for high BP). You will not want the carbonation in your stomach and you will lose a bit of your taste for sweet things (at least I did). 

Like my wife says to me when I get a craving for things that I should not have "it is poison, it will kill you". Sounds silly but it has kept me from eating\drinking things that I shouldn't. 

Experiment with the Crystal Light sugar free additives for water ( or the Wal-Mart knock off brand that is cheaper than Crystal Light). I mix these into my water and tell myself it is the same as drinking soda.

You can do it and it is worth it!
doggz109
on 8/27/11 2:11 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
You will have severe headaches and cravings for at least a few days.  Hang in there....that stuff is nasty to your body and its detoxing now.  Don't give up.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views