ANNOYED

C. Champion
on 8/28/11 3:24 am - Minneapolis, MN
I am really tired of people telling me that im not "really hungry", that its in my head, or that im just bored. My hunger is the same now as it was b4 surgery, my stomach growls, then feels completly empty then I get nauseous if I dont eat. Sounds like hunger to me! Not everyone is the same, not everyone looses hunger, and im sick and tired of people telling me that im just bored or that its in my head!!!! Just needed to vent.
I was hungry since day 3 after surgery, my full liquids go through me very fast and dont keep me feeling satisfied. I have one more week to go on liquids b4 I can start mushies so I hope that the mushie food will stay in my pouch longer so I feel more satisfied longer. 13 days post-op now.
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

disabled_nurse
on 8/28/11 3:30 am - Bogalusa, LA
just hang in there a little while longer, when you get to solids, you will be so full................... like you just ate christmas dinner, and you stay full feeling for hours. I tthought I would loose my mind at this phase. I promise it gets better.

Angela.62
on 8/28/11 3:42 am
I was the same way in the beginning .. it really does get easier once you can incorporate some real food into your diet.  I'm 8 weeks out now and I've learned that I need to eat something every 3 hours or my stomach actually growls .. I'm eating and drinking enough now that I don't feel hungry or nauseous most of the time .. it's still not perfect, but it's much better than it was. Hang in there!

SW 253 Surgery Date July 5th, 2011
91Annie15
on 8/28/11 3:49 am - CA
 You're going to get that, unfortunately.  :(  You'll also get the Food Police on constant patrol.  I can't imagine having to be on liquids, still.  My PA told me to go ahead and start soft foods last week (one week postop)!  I thought she was nuts.  I do very liquidy pureed foods now.  

It gets so much better once you can eat thicker/more food like substances.  I made the Zucchini Soup II and Black Bean Salsa Soup found on allrecipes.com this week which I've been very happy with.  The food processor is a savior and adding broth to dilute is key.  1/2-3/4 cup fills me up for hours.  I just have to be careful not to drink for at least 30-60 minutes after.

I hope you start to feel better soon.  I've learned real quick not to look for any sympathy from most the people around me.  Come here, or write in a journal.  Just "voicing" the frustration is great therapy.  

We're here for you.  We understand.

-AA   
wert
on 8/29/11 11:44 pm - MN
I found the black bean recipe. It looks very good. I'm making some today. It's kind of chilly and rainy - a soup kind of day. Thanks for mentioning it. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Joy J.
on 8/28/11 4:21 am - Laurel, MD
I experienced the same thing. It did get better when I advanced to soft foods. My favorite was the turkey taco filling I made with black beans. my family ate it with the tortilla's and I pureed mine with some chicken broth and mild taco season.  then, melt low fat cheese and a spoonful of Fat Free sour cream or greek yogurt.  It wass wonderful. I got the idea from a recipe in "Weight Loss Surgory for Dummies" 

I am just moving to solids and they fill me up now.  My Surgeon said that the more dense your food is (like meats) the longer it stays with you. Hang in there...you will feel less hungry soon.

C. Champion
on 8/28/11 4:22 am - Minneapolis, MN
Thanks, I know im not the only one who gets hungry. Im still trying to get a routine down as far as eating and stuff goes because I am so sick of sweet tasting protein shakes I am trying different ways to make them tolerable, I found that I need to have a protein shake first because it helps to get that protein in right away, im still working on getting the fluids all in but thats getting better too. I am just so crabby right now I cant wait to start on mushie food seriously it will be a blessing. I know this all will pass and I know that I will be fine but getting through this first month is so much harder than I was expecting it to be!
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!

Readyforafreshstart
on 8/28/11 4:23 am
Don't feel alone girl, it's not all in your head, I too felt hungry all the time till I got to start semi normal ie soft foods. I noticed what helped me A LOT was the low cal G2 gatorade because I guess it kinda stabilized my blood sugars. Hopefully it gets better for ya when you can start foods!
C. Champion
on 8/28/11 4:51 am - Minneapolis, MN
Yea I am going to try and switch it up a bit with the fluids, I am sick of water so I have some G2 and Diet V8 spla****s just hard to constantly be drinking sweet things!

Poi
on 8/28/11 5:01 am - Milford, DE
 I had my surgery on the 17th and was super-nauseous for about 4 days, then my hunger returned.  I did a few days of liquids then moved on to "pureed" foods and am already able to eat mushy foods that I mash with a fork and add some broth or yogurt to.  My doc told me 3 days to a week of liquids post-op, then a month of purees.  I just couldn't stomach some of the purees, so I ended up pureeing other things or mashing them.

Are you getting enough protein?  Even in liquid form, the protein will keep you satisfied longer.  And I hear you on the constant sweet stuff - I did 2 weeks pre-op of shakes, jello, and popsicles, and I was so sick of the sweet!   What about some broth?
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views