Salad???

Pkrplyr777
on 8/29/11 9:31 am - CT
At what point was it ok to eat salad?

I've always loved a good salad with cukes, tomatos, peppers, feta cheese, a little onion with a Cabernet Baslamic vinegar drizzled for dressing.

When are raw veggies ok?

thanks,
Donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
ms_dar
on 8/29/11 9:46 am - Canada
You should wait until you are 3 months post op.  That is the time required for scar tissue to cover over your staple line internally.  At that point you can reintroduce seeded fruits and veggies one at a time to make sure your sleeve still likes what your brain thinks you do.   I enjoy a small salad almost every day for lunch at work.

tabb
on 8/29/11 9:49 am
 I love salad too. My center recommends waiting until 5 months post op to eat raw veggies and add one thing in a time. I can't wait til I can have a salad too but I imagine it will be much smaller than the ones before surgery. 
LabMomma
on 8/29/11 10:00 am
VSG on 09/27/10 with
I really love salads & ate one daily prior to surgery. I found that my tummy just could not tolerate salads until about 8 months after surgery. I tried them a few times at about 6 months, but it made my stomach hurt. I waited another month or two & now I can eat a small salad just fine.  

Give it some time & keep coming back to try different things every month or two. Your tummy will let you know when it is ready... just be sure to listen!

sleevegirl
on 8/29/11 10:12 am - Austin, TX
My paperwork says five months, but talking to my surgeon he said that at 3 months he usually releases people to start SLOWLY adding raw veggies and beef and shellfish (those are my no-nos although I will admit, I've had shrimp a few times and survived just fine). LOL.

I, too, would KILL for a good salad right about now. With crisp lettuece, some ripe tomatoes and beautiful cucumbers. Sigh.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

candyturbo
on 8/29/11 10:16 am
 I craved salads almost from day one after I started to get hungry again. I found that salads, of all things, have been the hardest thing to work back in. I am not yet at 3 months, but my doctor let me try. It was the only time so far that I have vomited. I find that with raw veges, I just cannot chew them enough to keep them from being too rough for my stomach. I have been able to eat tomatoes with ranch dressing and that has satisfied my craving somewhat. It's funny but I can eat almost anything EXCEPT raw foods at 8 weeks out.

HW 254, Start WLS Program-246, Surgery-239, CW-209, Goal-150 (or better)       
mzchocolatebrwn
on 8/29/11 11:36 am - chattanooga, TN
i was sleeved on 6-27-11, and i had my 1st salad this past weekend. it was great, and didnt give me not one problem.  i have also had pettite carrots and veggie dip, with no problems as well. the only thing that have not been able to tolerate is beef, and sometimes chicken. 
Pkrplyr777
on 8/29/11 12:28 pm - CT
Thanks so much!

I love all the information I can get on this forum.
You have probably saved me some serious discomfort.

I seem to be very sensitive and restricted still and yet the surgeon says I can start solid foods next week.

I think I will be taking that step very slowly and making sure my new stomach can handle each new thing 100% before moving on.

Thanks again,
Donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
Laurie M.
on 8/29/11 1:00 pm - KS
My surgery was 8/1 too! I used to have a "cast iron" stomach. Now I have a sleevezilla! She is very picky on what she will let me eat. It can get frustrating but i know it will get better.

smbergie200
on 8/29/11 4:52 pm - Naples, FL
On August 29, 2011 at 8:00 PM Pacific Time, Laurie M. wrote:
My surgery was 8/1 too! I used to have a "cast iron" stomach. Now I have a sleevezilla! She is very picky on what she will let me eat. It can get frustrating but i know it will get better.
slevezilla

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 248 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 315 views