Thank goodness fro insurance

Leslie P.
on 8/31/11 11:08 pm - OH
So I got the explanation of benefits in the mail today for my hospital stay. Mind you they already paid the surgeon and his assistant... the total for my 30 hour hospital vist $46,000!!!!!!!!

I had zero complications and all they had to do was come give me pain meds every few hours!! The bill is TWICE what is was to have an emergency gallbladder removal two years ago and I had to stay three days! OMG!

I am very thankful for good insurance......

brownowl
on 8/31/11 11:31 pm
wow they know how to charge in america, my daughter got ill on holiday in spain had to go to icu for 2 days then 2 weeks in hopsital with ct scans and bloods done and lots of tests she had pnuemonia her insurance bill came to 21,000 euros for 2 weeks stay and thats with paying for my hotel stay and flying both of us home 46,000 dollars for 30 hours is rediculas cant you disagree with this bill before it goes before the insurance company no wonder premiums are sky high with hospitals charging what they want xxxxxxxx
Leslie P.
on 8/31/11 11:36 pm - OH
I called this morning and requested an itemized bill. It seems waaaay too high to me too. I could undertsand if I had complications or something but not for a routine overnight stay. While I have no complaints about my surgery or hospital stay, I certainly didn't have $46K worth of care!!!

SaminCT
on 8/31/11 11:49 pm
I was in the hospital for eight days a week and a half after my surgery for complications. I can't imagine what the bill will look like. We have really good insurance. Eek!
VSG - 7/12/2011 with Dr. Gedeon and Dr. Oluwole, Bristol Hospital (CT)
doggz109
on 8/31/11 11:58 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
That is what they billed.....not what they will collect.  They will negotiate with your insurance and probably get about 50-60% of that amount if not less.

Bruce S.
on 9/1/11 2:50 am - Portland, TN
On September 1, 2011 at 6:58 AM Pacific Time, doggz109 wrote:
That is what they billed.....not what they will collect.  They will negotiate with your insurance and probably get about 50-60% of that amount if not less.

Thats right.  I was in for 2 1/2 days and they billed 44,000 just for the hospital stay.  by the time the insurance was done it was down to 15,000 or so.  My total out of pocket for all the preop 6 months stuff and surgery worked out tobe right at 2400.00
joie_de_sleeve
on 9/1/11 12:15 am - IN
Wow! I thought my bill was high ($43,000+ for 2 days in hospital with no major complications). Thank goodness for my good insurance, indeed. Couldn't have had the surgery otherwise.

VSG 7/26/11

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Leslie P.
on 9/1/11 12:28 am - OH

Anthem actually paid all but $799 of what they asked for and we have to cover that. My total out of pocket is $1500 so I  am greatful!

Arianasmama
on 9/1/11 1:58 am - Beverly Hills, CA
 You're right, "thank goodness for insurance."  I received my itemized bill from Scripps Mercy Hospital and my total was $64,282.  I was in the hospital for 5 days with no complications and didn't use any of the pain meds in the pump or orally.  My deductible was $500.00 and with the help of Aflac, I received that reimbursement last week.  I also noticed on my bill for Pepcid the insurance company was getting billed $80.00.  Really?  Highway robbery.
Be Blessed            
jfab1978
on 9/1/11 2:28 am - CA
I agree 100%!!  My surgery was at Stanford Medical and for a two night stay... $85,000!!! My insurance paid everything! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 312 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views