surgery monday still in hospital

twellington1
on 9/3/11 5:28 am - NH
So I had my sleeve done on Monday and I cannot tolerate any liquids.  I have beed told by my doctor that some people take longer to heal. Yesterday and today have been easier....less nasuea and I have discovered that  I tolerate decaf tea better tha****er. I also had a 1/2 popsicle today and did not throw up any of it.  Problem is that I am not taking in enough fluids to allow for me to leave. On Tuesday he wants to tdo a scope to make sure everything is working. Tried the swallow study that was a BAD!!!  Feel deicouraged and wish I could go home and rest. Luckly hubby brought me computer and things to do!!!  Curious to get on a scale too.  I think I have lost weight just by the way my body looks but this is not how I wanted to to it. 

kenderico
on 9/3/11 5:43 am
Dont rush to get on the scale.  Chances are they pumped you full of fluids.  I gained 10 lbs and I was in the hospital for only 2.5 days.  I do waistline measurements and weigh in only 1 time a week. 

VickyBT
on 9/3/11 5:59 am - MI
How discouraging that must be for you.
Are you taking the tiniest sips when trying to drink something
and waiting inbetween sips?
Also try warm or room temp liquids vs. cold or ice chips.
Saying a little prayers that you can go home soon.
(((HUGS)))
PS I gained 8 lbs when in the hospital because of all the IV fluids.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

kalimamasmom
on 9/3/11 6:58 am
I could only tolerate warm liquids...that was the easiest for me, so if that is working for you, keep rocking it!  I went through a TON of flavored hot teas for the first few months. 
It will be worth it in the end, so hang it there and here's to warm sipping!
Hugs,
Jen

Jan G.
on 9/3/11 7:20 am - WI

Sorry you are going through all this. Hospitals are no fun and no place to truly rest. I bet you are still on IV fluids right? So trust me you do not want to get weighed. You may even come home with a few extra pounds of fluid..but trust me it DOES come off.

I was in for 6 days..my tummy just would not empty water or saliva. No obstruction or leaks. BUT..I ended up vomiting 3 of the 6 days and had 2 GI tests. I know that stuff does not taste good but it only takes a few sips and they get their Xray. My surgeon was there for the 2nd test and could see how swollen I was.

DO NOT RUSH any of this healing stuff. YOu just had major surgery..and body is traumatized.

Continued good healing..may you get out as soon as its best for you~ Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views