Post-op diets

Seldern
on 9/5/11 5:31 am - Belmont , NC
What was your post-op diet?
I've noticed everyone's is very different.
Mine is
1 week clears-DONE
1 week full liquid- currently on
1 week pureed
1 week soft
Week 5 work in regular foods.

Any suggestions on some good full liquid foods?

Thanks
SARAH VSG 8-29-2011

califsleevin
on 9/5/11 6:01 am - CA
Mine was puree & soft for the first month with progressively more regular foods in the second month, give or take some depending upon tolerance, with experimentation encouraged (one food at a time to gauge tolerance) as their finding has been that patients do best on real foods. I was working on the softer regular foods (like dark chicken, etc) in the first month as it was well tolerated, and was encouraged to add veg to the mix at the 10 day follow-up as I was already getting more than adequate protein at that point. Your mileage may vary - patients vary widely in how they progress and tolerate things - my wife was a lot slower to tolerate new things with her DS than I have been with the VSG, (and only a part of that is due to her metabolic/intestinal changes.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Audra L.
on 9/5/11 7:15 am - WA
VSG on 08/05/11 with
Mine is about the same as yours:

1 week clear liquids (HORRIBLE!)
2 weeks full liquids
1 week soft foods
Week 5 start adding regular food/solids

HEIGHT: 5'8"          HIGHEST WEIGHT: 285          CURRENT WEIGHT: 180

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/11 7:30 am
Fairly similar.. 10 days clears.. not bad, hated the liquids in/liquids out deal..

10 days full liquids, still not too bad. Between shakes, including overly-thick Atkins shakes, greek yogurt with SF pudding mixed in for flavor and thinned with a little milk as needed.. I kinda floated through it. Strained soups with extra protein powder mixed in were good for a change, lived on unjury chicken flavor with home-made broth, spiced all sorts of ways.. I got sick of the sweet flavors really fast, I do not have a huge sweet tooth!

10 days pureed.. got much better. Cot chz, refried beans with GY and liquidy salsa, blenderized devilled eggs.. cheese in general.. ricotta bake.. etc.

Then at 30 days I was allowed full solids. No meats until the 30 day mark.. and I eased into it very gently by having baked flounder for the first meat. 

Seldern
on 9/5/11 7:49 am - Belmont , NC
On September 5, 2011 at 2:30 PM Pacific Time, Jo777 wrote:
Fairly similar.. 10 days clears.. not bad, hated the liquids in/liquids out deal..

10 days full liquids, still not too bad. Between shakes, including overly-thick Atkins shakes, greek yogurt with SF pudding mixed in for flavor and thinned with a little milk as needed.. I kinda floated through it. Strained soups with extra protein powder mixed in were good for a change, lived on unjury chicken flavor with home-made broth, spiced all sorts of ways.. I got sick of the sweet flavors really fast, I do not have a huge sweet tooth!

10 days pureed.. got much better. Cot chz, refried beans with GY and liquidy salsa, blenderized devilled eggs.. cheese in general.. ricotta bake.. etc.

Then at 30 days I was allowed full solids. No meats until the 30 day mark.. and I eased into it very gently by having baked flounder for the first meat. 

Please tell me more about this ricotta bake please.
SARAH VSG 8-29-2011

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/11 7:52 am
Here you go- The World According to Eggface is a great blog & source of ideas for foodie stuff. This is Shelly's ricotta bake.. I just made it in individual little ramekins since I could only eat a tiny amount.. 

Shelly's Baked Ricotta

8 oz of Ricotta Cheese 
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 large Egg, beaten
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup Marinara Sauce 
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan, beaten egg, seasonings together and place in a oven proof dish. Pour marinara on top and top with mozzarella cheese. Bake it in the oven @ 450 for about 20-25 minutes (best) or nuke it till hot and bubbly. I usually made it first in the oven and heated the leftovers in the microwave.
Carmella K.
on 9/5/11 9:00 am - TN
Mine is:
2 weeks clear liquids
2 weeks full liquids
2 weeks soft solids
regular food

I am currently on my second week of full liquids. I am a stickler for making sure I get them all in after spending 5 additional days in the hospital from getting dehydrated. I was overwhelmed by the amount of liquids so I drink out of 8oz cups. Since my protein doesn't count as part of my liquids anymore I have to sip sip sip all day. I drink water with crystal light or mio, decaf coffee or tea, sf jello, sf popsicles and chicken broth. I am looking forward to the soft food stage.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views