How long were you lactose intolerant?

Audra L.
on 9/10/11 2:44 am - WA
VSG on 08/05/11 with

So, I'm pretty much resigned that I have become lactose intolerant here after my surgery.  I just feel really ill and nauseous after drinking milk products.  My doc says that it's common for people to become temporarily lactose intolerant after surgery.  I've been reading on the boards of people who've become LI after a few months, etc, but I haven't read too much about how long it lasts.  So, I thought I'd post the question.  Maybe it lasts indefinitely?  Just curuious, because I really love my dairy!  And while I don't mind using Lactaid, I'd rather not have to worry about it.  

Though, really, if this was the worst I had to deal with as a "repercussion" of surgery, I'll take it! 

HEIGHT: 5'8"          HIGHEST WEIGHT: 285          CURRENT WEIGHT: 180

Jasonm11
on 9/10/11 3:53 am
I slowly reintroduced milk products at about 3 months in my coffee and now at 6 months out, I can drink small glasses of milk with no issues.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Alicia L.
on 9/10/11 1:05 pm - Wichita, KS
 I'm still mildly lactose intolerant at 10 months post op.  It is better, but I'll never be back where I was before surgery.  

I'm kind of okay with it though, because it keeps me away from ice cream, and helped me switch to almond milk instead of cow's milk.

Find me on facebook: facebook.com/shoppinggirl
I also routinely update my blog, www.memyselfandalicia.com
Steph4575
on 9/10/11 3:47 pm - TX
The last time I tried anything with milk in it, it upset my tummy, but I can eat cheese no problem. The milk is the kicker for me. I haven't tried in about a week, but its lasted me about 6 weeks thus far. Every body is different though, so some people will bounce back faster than others, some won't at all.
I must figure out if I'm still having issues myself though, so thank you for the reminder! =)

Marcia B.
on 9/11/11 2:44 am - CA
For me it was about a month and I took lactaid fast acting pills everytime I was about to have dairy and they really helped.  Good luck :)
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

brilynn79
on 9/11/11 7:55 pm
I could always do hard cheese.  Even with lactaid I would still get sick about 3 months out.  I could not stomach the sweet taste of the lactaid dairy products.

About 4 months out I could tolerate yogurt.

It took me until about 8 months out to be able to tolerate dairy as an ingredient in foods- butter, milk, sour cream etc.  At times this still gives me trouble.

At almost a year I can finally do cottage cheese now, and sometimes milk in small amounts, but too much and I feel the effects.

Ice cream always induced vomitting the few times I tried it post op, so I am not sure I ever will be able to eat more than a bite or two, which is probably a blessing.

It seems to me the more fat the dairy has in it the less likely I am to tolerate it.  I have been trying to get ahold of some raw milk to see if I tolerate that any better.  I really miss milk.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views