Urgent question regarding PPI's- sleeved 4 days ago

Paige1
on 9/11/11 2:58 am
I am having major issues with gas pains when I take a drink of water, etc.  It goes down fine, but I have these pains that linger.  Can I take a Pepcid whole..it's not that big?  On the drug information on the packet it says not to chew it up, which I can only assume includes crushing it, as well.  This is really the only issue I am having, but many have said taking a PPI helps with this, as well as the gurgles and hunger pangs.  Thanks for your help!! I was just sleeved on Wed. 9/7, and I am trying to figure out the best things to do in this transitional period.

Jan G.
on 9/11/11 3:16 am - WI
Are you sipping the water? Cuz when I gulp (early on in recovery) it hurt. As there is less swelling it feels better and seems to "open up" more to bigger swallows of water/fluids.

And RX PPi's are stronger and used for healing. Ask your surgeon to RX one. My ins would not authorize the one my surgeon recommended..Prevacid Solutabs..which are dissolvable on your tongue.

Good luck.. things do improve~ Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

lucy2e
on 9/11/11 3:16 am - Laurel, MD
 I took my prevacid whole from the start without problems.  Some people open and sprinkle in applesauce or sf pudding.  

Gas X strips also help with the gas - always good to have on hand.  Also try smaller sips.

Good luck!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

J.e.t.
on 9/11/11 3:19 am
I've been taking prilosec (whole) since day one.  Check with your doctor.
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

Paige1
on 9/11/11 3:30 am
Thanks, everyone, for your advice!  My husband went and bought some Pepcid tabs, which are nearly as small as my synthroid I have been allowed to take whole since coming home from the hospital.  I think I am going to try taking one of those whole, or maybe cut it in half and see what happens. I love being able to post something and get responses from those who have been there!!  Have a blessed day!
KathyA999
on 9/11/11 3:59 am
My acid issues present as gas also.  Just a quick word about Pepcid, it's not a PPI, it's an H2 blocker.  PPI's prevent acid from forming, H2 blockers reduce acid once it's already formed.  Sometimes there's a bounceback effect from H2 blockers once they wear off, but they can be useful in the immediate need.  PPIs take a few days for full effect because they work systemically. 

H2 blockers include Pepcid and Zantac.  PPIs include Prilosec and Prevacid (both available OTC), as well as Rx versions.  Right after surgery I dissolved Prilosec in water before taking, it dissolves pretty easily.  Not the most pleasant taste, but it worked.  After a couple weeks I decided WTH and just swallowed them whole, no problem.

If your surgeon decides you should be on a PPI, take it every day at the same time whether you have symptoms or not.  At about six months I decided I was feeling so good I could stop my PPI - big mistake!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

J.e.t.
on 9/11/11 4:14 am
 Really?  Sigh.  I've been so hoping that after a few months I could be rid of them.  They're expensive!  My surgeon did repair a hiatal hernia during my VSG, so I'm holding out hope that that was my problem before?  
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

KathyA999
on 9/11/11 4:16 am
You know, some folks have posted that they were able to quit the PPI after a while.  Not my story, unfortunately.  Maybe you'll be one of those who could.  One of the first things I asked my surgeon post-op was, did he find and repair a hiatal hernia, I was hoping that was the cause of my GERD.  No such luck.  I'm just GERD-y, I guess, LOL!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Smardeepants
on 9/11/11 5:39 am
I've also been taking mine whole,  no problems, since the beginning.

Meme10
on 9/11/11 5:42 am - TX
Are you walking? Walking relieved my gas pains when I had Gastric Banding.
              HW-307  lapband-243  SW-250  CW-225  GW-150                  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views