Women who have had children question.

yellomodelchick06
on 9/13/11 2:07 am - Moreno Valley, CA
OKay so when I was pregnant with both my kids I had severe Hypermesis Gravidium. To the point where I was hospitalized 3 times.. Lost over 30 pounds with my son.. I was severly dehydrated. I had the most horrible smell sense. It was the worst. So I heard that your sense of smell can be heightened with this surgery. Has this happened to anyone? God I hope this doesnt happen to me.
Steph4575
on 9/13/11 2:13 am - TX
My sense of smell changed when I had kids as well. It never went away though, since having them, I've always had a heightened sense of smell. Although, in the past few years it has been starting to fade slightly (my girls are 6, and 9). After surgery, my sense of smell was only heightened slightly. It actually feels normal to me at this point. I think it just depends on the person. I know for a fact a friend of mine didn't get a heightened sense of smell (I have been to her house, lol). I hope it doesn't get as bad as you've explained, but it probably is possible.
Try talking to your surgeon about this though, he/she may be able to provide more insight for you. =)

Smardeepants
on 9/13/11 2:44 am
I have heightened sense of smell from having children. (I can tell what kind of soda someone was drinking by their breath, LOL).

Anyway, mine did not change noticeably with surgery. I had a lot of nausea for the first month, and ALL smells bothered me... as did many tastes (like toothpaste).... but once I changed to prilosec 2X a day it all improved.

My sense of smell is normal (like it was before surgery) and my sense of taste is changed somewhat, but for the better.

Jenny C.
on 9/13/11 5:36 am
I didn't officially have hyperemesis in pregancy, but I had awful 24 hr nausea for about 6 months in 2 pregnancies.

I haven't noticed any increase in nausea at all post-surgery, and no changes in smell sensitivity that I'm aware of.

My surgeon does do an anti-nausea drug just prior to surgery plus a scopalamine patch applied a few hours before surgery and left on for a couple of days.  I didn't have one second of nausea, for which I am profoundly grateful as I consider it a form of torture after the YEAR (divided) I spent nauseated, vomiting, and with a hair-trigger gag reflex (stimulated by looking at toothbrush even).

Good luck, I hope you have smooth sailing.

Mrsk2011
on 9/13/11 5:40 am
My smell was heightened to the extreme when i was pregnant but i havent noticed any difference since surgery although i cant stand the smell of grease..

injeneral
on 9/13/11 7:22 am
Mine has been heightened post-op, but not to the level that it was during pregnancy. And it's not an "aversion"-type sense, it just is... more. I guess. It's not bad or good. Just is.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

Gin2bthin
on 9/13/11 7:25 am - WV
I dont think my sense of smell is any different, i just dont get as excited when I smell good food..LOL..so maybe it has.To me food just dont smell as good as it use to.Thank goodness..My whole outlook on food has changed all together..I think you will be fine!:)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views