Sleeved! Super sore! (LONG) Water, gas, getting up, etc

dicastro1010
on 9/17/11 7:23 am - Escondido, CA
Hi Friends!

So after all of my pre-surgery drama, I made it through, was able to lose enough weight to get surgery, and I had a new sleeve made for me somewhere around 10am on Wednesday morning!The whole weight issue never came up, but thankfully I was well below where I needed to be. 
I am so happy!

This is what I remember: 

I know I was wheeled out of pre-op, where my Mom was crying and I was telling her not to cry. Then I went into the surgery room, they asked me to wiggle myself from the bed I was on to a thinner bed that was placed right to the side of the one I was on. I remember them attaching the arms to the side of the bed and thought "how nice that they have these attachments for the big ones". Then OUT. Nothing else.

I remember waking up in a room feeling totally out of it, really nausios (sp?) and I kept saying that I was in pain and going to throw up. I don't know if I was really in pain or not, it was too blurry and weird feeling coming out of anesthesia.I do remember for sure that I felt like I was going to throw up, but I didn't at all.The rest of Wednesday I pretty much was in a medicated haze, going in and out and mostly sleeping. I wasn't thirsty at all. I remember I put a lot of chapstick on before surgery so maybe that helped. Not sure, but I didn't need any swabs or anything like that.

Thursday I got up a couple times slowly and still felt pain, but tolerable and no nausia at all which was super. The dr. came in to see me and told me that to my surprise I have a lot more stomach muscle than other patients which is why I was experiencing more pain that his average patient. I was able to have a popsicle Thursday, and was finally beginning to feel slightly normal and not so medicated. I also had a pain pump with morphine that I could press every ten minutes, but I didn't use it at all on Thursday.

Friday I had some chicken broth, was able to move around and walk a lot, but still really sore getting up out of bed. I started having some ice chips Thursday but really mostly Friday. I was released a day early on Friday around 1pm, and came to my parents house so they can wait on me - haha, so true but sad.

Today- Saturday, I am even MORE sore muscle wise than yesterday as far as getting out of bed, but other than that things are good. I can sip water fine but do get the crampy full feeling. I am not hungry at all but the doc said that today I can have cream of chicken or creamy soups as well as protein shakes however I like them, soy/milk etc. I am too scared to do that yet and my stomach gets so full with jus****er or a popsicle that I think I will just take it easy until tomorrow. Also, the more little sips of ice water I take, the less the cramping. So I know if I just keep it up and get my fluids in I'll be a-okay. As far as feeing full so fast- AMEN, I've been waiting on that my whole life! haha.  As far as pain I was given liquid hydrocodone that really helps too, I was told that one dose is like 2 vicodins. I don't know about that but it does seem to help. I haven't been using my binder (stomach wrap thing) since I got home because I feel like I have a lot of gas and it's not coming out at all, and for some reason I am convinced that the binder is trapping it all inside. Ha. So weird how my brain thinks, I can't help it.

My biggest struggle is like I mentioned, getting up from a laying down position. I have tried the whole "roll to one side" and it doesnt help. I can get up from a chair just fine or from a seated position, I can sit up and down on a toilet, it's just getting up from out of bed that makes me cringe at the thought. Other ideas? Should I just sleep in a chair tonight? 

Anyhoo, I am super excited to have my tiny new tum tum and can't wait to look back a year from now to have the affirmation that this was SO right for me, which I know it is. Like everyone else though, I am so eager to see some changes :) 

Oh- and in weight news I weighed 306.8 the morning of surgery on the dr scale, and didn't weigh myself until today, and today I weigh 299 exactly according to my parents digital scale. There may be a couple pounds of variance between scales there, but not too shabby for no action on my part at all yet.
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

megamommy
on 9/17/11 7:33 am
Hang in there! I was sleeved Monday and im struggling getting up too! Im using my 3 yr olds step stool to get in and out of bed lol!

Paige V.
on 9/17/11 7:46 am - Gainesville, FL
your story sounds identical to mine, except I did throw up a couple times. I have also lost 7lbs since surgery....my tummy is doing REALLY strange things...and I am not tolerating milk now, so I am avoiding protein shakes until at least tomorrow. I might try them with some Lactaid.

As far as the getting up out of bed, it sucks. This morning was slightly easier for me, and I am sure tomorrow will be better...though I am finally back home (had to stay in a hotel for two nights) and having to kind of take care of my son (though my mom is here to help with the really big stuff like giving him a bath) Mom will be leaving tomorrow so I hope I start feeling better...

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

dicastro1010
on 9/17/11 8:02 am - Escondido, CA
Thanks ladies! It's nice to know that I am not alone and that all of this is familiar to you too. Thankfully I did without the throwing up though! Geez, that is no fun at all. I know I just have to keep reminding myself that as each hour passes my body is healing a little more, and each day will be a little better than the one before. It's so hard because I am such a busy body I want to be healed now, but I need to set some realistic expectations. Another thing is that I don't have kids, so my heart goes out to those of you like Paige who have to start caring for your little ones. A week from now we will be SO much better.
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

Jessicasmom
on 9/17/11 8:29 am
Hello Ladies. I was sleeved on 9/6, so I am on my 11th day from surgery. Your stories are so much like mine. SO MUCH! 
 I  have 3 kids and between my husband taking a couple days off of work and my mom being here, It was a god sent. But when my mom left days ago, I wanted to cry.
BUT I will tell you, you definately feel better every day. It is so true. I am shocked at how well I feel today compared to yesterday.
So excited for both of you. Good luck to you!

sheluvs2luv
on 9/17/11 8:37 am
 Yes everyday seeme to be getting a little better. I am 4 days out! and the getting out of bed thing is very tricky lol! Good to see that you dropped some pnds already! I am scared to get on the scale and I'm going to wait till some of this bloat comes off. I just got my monthy cycle so i really feel like a rolly polly now! I cant believe you didn't use your pain pump! Girl I was squeezing that thing like I was on Jepordy! Hahaha! Thank God I haven't had any nausia and belive it or not the most pain I feel is coming from my bladder where they stuck the catheter in! My breathing was a shallow but my Dr. said it was normal as long as I can stop and take a deep breath or cough. Just gotta keep doing my deep breathing excersies. Isn't it a blessing to feel so full so fast???!!! So good to have this community!  
yellomodelchick06
on 9/17/11 8:58 am - Moreno Valley, CA
Ive been praying for you girl!! I was waiting for you to come thru!!! You will be ok.. I am glad everything went okay!!
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/11 2:20 pm
Sounds like you are having a nice recovery, good deal!
I had to prop the head of my bed up with some couch cushions and pillows. It just made the head of the bed rise kinda like the hospital bed.. I couldn't lay out flat, my incisions/muscles pulled too much.. so I slept like that for a few days.. and it made getting out of bed much easier!
DaniellaRN
on 9/17/11 2:53 pm - CA
 See, i told you you'd be fine! not so bad huh? glad to hear it went well, even after all the drama , lol.
good luck to you :)

BethR311
on 9/17/11 3:57 pm - Fort Wayne, IN
Getting out of bed is a ***** the first week or so after any abdominal surgery!  After my hysterectomy, I spent the first two nights home in a recliner and that helped A LOT. 

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views