Cant tell if I'm really hungry or not...

b_scene33
on 9/20/11 8:22 am - OH
Hey guys, I'm almost 2 weeks out and hvaing trouble telling if i'm hungry or not. Last night I didnt take in enough protien- i think maybe 18 g all day and when I came home from work I felt like I was starving but i had a shake and then some water and I was pretty sure It was in my head I just wanted some food. But today I've been more regimented in eating-haha- my shakes and i just had 4 oz of a cream soup thickness shake and I feel a some grumbling but also a fullness. Before grumbles meant hungry now it means something completly different, its kind of like I have a little alien tummy....its like learning about my body for the first time all over again... I know im probably just over worrying but I do worry bc i used to be addicted to food and i really want to get out as far away from that as possible!

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
*H:5'4" HW: 242 SW: 218.8 CW:142  GW:142*
Surgery Date 9/07/11

Paige V.
on 9/20/11 8:45 am - Gainesville, FL
On September 20, 2011 at 3:22 PM Pacific Time, b_scene33 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm almost 2 weeks out and hvaing trouble telling if i'm hungry or not. Last night I didnt take in enough protien- i think maybe 18 g all day and when I came home from work I felt like I was starving but i had a shake and then some water and I was pretty sure It was in my head I just wanted some food. But today I've been more regimented in eating-haha- my shakes and i just had 4 oz of a cream soup thickness shake and I feel a some grumbling but also a fullness. Before grumbles meant hungry now it means something completly different, its kind of like I have a little alien tummy....its like learning about my body for the first time all over again... I know im probably just over worrying but I do worry bc i used to be addicted to food and i really want to get out as far away from that as possible!
I feel the same. I feel grumbles all the time, everytime I take a sip, I grumble...its weird. The only thing that makes me feel overly "full" is the protein shakes.....

I tell everyone that I think I feel hungry, however. I am not sure if I really am, or if its just the acid.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

Crystal M.
on 9/20/11 9:18 am, edited 9/20/11 9:24 am - El Paso, TX
It's funny how you refer to your tummy as alien. I'm also 2 weeks post-op and am also having trouble figuring out what the various grumbles and cramps mean. The other night I was telling my mom that this new stomach is like having a new baby, where you have to figure out which cry means hunger, which means wet diaper, which means sleepy.

I'm also having trouble recognizing when I'm full. I was (slowly) eating some mashed avocado the other day & everything was fine, then suddenly it wasn't fine. There was no warning that I was approaching being full.

It's like I'm getting no feedback at all from my stomach. I don't now when I'm hungry (no appetite) & I can't tell when I'm full. I guess I'll just keep measuring all my food (1/4 cup is what I've been doing****il I figure this out.

It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 10:24 am
VSG on 02/16/12
b_scene33
on 9/20/11 10:03 pm - OH
I had anthem bcbs ohio, and I did not have any issue with my insurance, my dr's team was right on top of everything for me. With my weight, I was worried bc I was required to lose 10 lbs per my dr, and I know that 10lbs would drop me below the bmi mark, as i only had acid relux and sleep apnea, but they go off of your original weight, if you lose weight it shouldnt affect your insurance approval bc it's part of your dr's regiment, if anything it should help show you are serious about the surgery! Mr dr told me the more I lose before the better for after, my bmi droped from just barely 40 to like 37, before i got my approval!
BEST of luck. ps if you should get a denial-- apeal! Dont let anything stand in your way of this, it's like the best and worst discision you will ever make. I was in so much pain, but it literally gets better every day!!! I feel less and less pain, and day 1 & 2 are the worst but day 3 on is alot better--ALOT! I'm down 17.2lbs and today is my 2 week surgiversary.
Best of luck to you!!!!

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
Surgery Date 9/07/11

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 10:51 pm
VSG on 02/16/12
urmisnshin2
on 9/20/11 1:19 pm - TX
It does get easier. When you start on mushies..eat slow, chew well,  and pay attention to your body signals. You are no longer looking for the full feeling you used to get when you overate...Your new alien tummyy will give you a sign that it is becoming full...for some it's a hiccup (i do that) , for some it's a sneeze, for some it's a runny nose...you will figure it out. At first you just have to eat because you have to. I'll be 3 months post op on the 29th, and I'm still learning how this little alien works. I don't experience hunger like I did pre-op, but my tummy will let me know if I've gone too long without eating. 
Watch for posts(or search them) from Brandilynn, Elina, Frisco, Armywife,(and there are several others too) ..they have walked this road and probably have answered every question any of us noobs can have.
Best advice is eat on a schedule while you are trying to learn your new tummy...measure your food....chew well......., eat slowly.....and don't drink anything while you are eating...
Good Luck to you!!
-Pam

HW 280  SW 260 CW 155 GW 160      

mizzticalxicana
on 9/20/11 2:52 pm
I had the same feeling around the same time and I started listening to my body whenever I ate or drank anything. For example after you take a bite or a zip of anything wait about 1-2 minutes, basically what im waiting for is that air that wants to come up before taking the next bite. Im either going to wait for the next air bubble that needs to come up or that feeling of fullness, you will catch on.

As far as knowing when your hungry..still sorta learning that part, im currently on my 4th week post-op. Wonder if it's really true what they say, you will never feel hungry again? Since i've been balancing my water, protein drinks, vitamins and food, I have not felt hunger pains as before.I think we may be busy for a while trying to balance all of the above until we may actually experience that hunger feeling again.
vacationlover
on 9/20/11 10:17 pm
It definitely gets easier to tell if you're really hungry, once you're farther out.  I still get hunger pains, even at 5 months out.  However, sometimes I won't be hungry but  I'll get shakey and nausious if I go too long without a meal.  To try to mitigate this, I try to make sure to eat meals at the same time every day.  If I have hunger pains, or am low on protein, I will have a snack approx 3 hours after my last meal.  When I follow this strategy, I minimize my hunger, and don't get shakey.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

b_scene33
on 9/21/11 8:38 am - OH
Thanks for the feedback. I've beentrying to to deny myself when I think I'm hungry bc im stuggling taking in enough protien.I havent made itover 4oz ofprotienshake-or anything in one sitting,and i can usually tellif imhungry if I actually eat it, twice today I thought I was and only took like 4 sips of the cup I poured...I'll keep the boardupdated when I discover what allthe new things mean,so other new pple can knowtoo.!Thanks for the feedback!

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
Surgery Date 9/07/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 379 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views