sleeve or wait for new Imbrication surgery

ozthewiz
on 9/21/11 6:44 pm, edited 9/21/11 7:10 pm - IL
VSG on 09/28/17
I am ready for the sleeve and this?????????????

Hello everyone I am 39 years old 6'4 bmi 42 and currently weight 345 down 20 pounds in 2 months since finishing the classes and learning the new eating habits(protein, fiber, no grazing, etc.) you guys know what I'm talking about.
anyways my end is all finished and hospital submitted all paper work to insurance and should get approval any day now.......

Now my primary doctor is telling me that he really thinks that I should not be sleeved and wait a couple of more years and try One last time to lose weight with all the new info I have learned from my NUT and classes etc.

He says he feels the sleeve is just too radical in removing the stomach and no reversal. and feels that I am relatively in good health and that a couple more years wont hurt me(God Willing)

He says that there is a new procedure new Imbrication surgery which will be more popular in a year or two. which doesn't cut the stomach, they just fold it creating the same effects as the sleeve with far less risks. and it is fully reversible.

Help Guys what should I do ?. I mean I feel healthy no real problems. some gerd and minor bp controlled with meds........

lanunes
on 9/21/11 6:56 pm - CA
 I could be wrong, but I believe this "new" surgery your talking about is already being done. I believe it is called the Plication. I have also heard the statistics aren't nearly as good as the sleeve or other wls currrently out there. 
      Leslie Nunes              
Rouxful
on 9/21/11 7:13 pm
 The imbrication is another term for the gastric plication. I actually changed my mind from the plication to have the sleeve. The big key here is that you feel less hungry with the sleeve because the cells lining your fundus that produce a hormone, called Ghrelin, end up being removed. WLS is radical, plain and simple. But with the sleeve, at least you know that you'll always have this tool. Please understand that being sleeved does NOT mean an end to eating normal food. It just changes the amount you'll want to eat. I've test driven my sleeve on some pretty rocky terrain. You'll be surprised what you can shove in there, but getting on the scale in a couple of days tells you straight up whether it was a good idea or not. It's a constant learning experience, but it's not overly-limiting.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

mini_me_ now
on 9/21/11 7:23 pm

new doesnt always mean saffer and less risk though here is a post from someone that had  this surgery and her experience..

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4308190/Unexpected-Complication-from-Vertical-Sleeve-Plication/
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

waitingtoexhale2
on 9/21/11 8:57 pm
I remember reading something regarding issues with blood flood of the vessels in the stomach when it is folded.  There are a couple of "you-tube" videos on gastric plication surgery.  Check it out.

Waitingtoexhale2

The race is not given to the swift or the strong, but to the one that endures to the end.

HW 357
Pre-Op Weight 343
Weight several hours after surgery 339

doggz109
on 9/21/11 9:01 pm, edited 9/21/11 9:01 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
From what I have read on it so far.....you couldn't pay me to get a plication done.  I am sticking with my plans for a sleeve.

Don't be a guinea pig.

EDIT:  I think you should see a surgeon and let them tell you what they think....not your PCP.  If you go into ANY wls surgery thinking.....if this doesnt work I can get it reversed.....you are going to be in trouble.  You need to be SURE its what you want.  Also....the comment from them "A couple more years won't hurt you".....YES IT WILL.

You should search this and other forums and find out how many people say "I wish I had done it years ago".  Just my two cents.....but get more opinions than just your PCP....thats all I am saying.
ms_dar
on 9/21/11 9:32 pm - Canada
"New" surgery translates to me as "unproven".  I LOVE my sleeve and one of the big reasons I choose this was to ensure that I have no hidden parts.  Leaving a part of the stomach as unaccessable to food also means unaccessable to have medical tests but still able to develop problems (ulcers and worse).  The gastrectomy removes the extra unused part of our tummy and therefore eliminates it as a breeding ground for future problems.  Keep doing your research but don't let anyone change your mind.  My doctor fought me for a couple of years on this procedure and he has now thanked me for showing him how great it can be for someone who has tried most of the weight loss solutions out there with little sucess.   My only struggles now are the old habits creeping back into my life, like eating at night even though I am NOT humgry.  Personal demons, I know but just want to assure you that if I could have had this surgery 20 years ago, I would have.

USAF Wife
on 9/21/11 10:18 pm
One of the main surgeons who was pushing the imbrication/plication surgery, stopped doing them because of complications. The one Mexico surgeon who was pimping it out as the "super sleeve and sleeve killer" is now not offering it to people because of the slow weight loss and poor results, patients left with major hunger, and ability to eat way more than VSG'ers can, and other issues related to the folding/pleating of the stomach. Believe me, just because it's advertised as "reversible" doesn't mean there won't be damage to the stomach tissue. I had a band and lost more stomach tissue due to scar tissue/adhesions just from that little thing. Imagine folding over and then suturing the biggest portion of your stomach and the scar tissue that would develop.

Too many complications, too many dissatisfied patients seeking revisions because of issues with this surgery.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

thisbe777
on 9/21/11 11:02 pm
rather than  rethink the sleeve, i'd be rethinking my primary doc.. 

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

DragonGirl
on 9/22/11 1:19 am - MN
That was screaming in my head, too, thisbe! Obviously the PCP doesn't know much about WLS and needs to either do more research or lose you as a patient!!!
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views