Hun ger

Classieboss
on 9/28/11 1:43 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
I would like to have the sleeve surgery but will I be hungry all the time post op with this surgery?   What about with the gastric bypass?   I don't want to be hungry, or grave food.  If so how do you curve it or maybe just not do the surgery?
Classieboss    
DrHollywood
on 9/28/11 2:17 pm - Harbor City, CA
For me, I didnt have that Hunger Pangs Like I use to have.  If I drink water like I should, I dont feel hungry at all. If I miss my water,  things change a bit.  head hunger still kicks in and that is something I think we all have to deal with.  Its different for each individual. In the beginning I really didnt feel hungry.  And now, Since  the weight has come off, sometimes I feel a little more ****y or comfortable and act on head hunger more than ever. That is something I am working on.  If we train ourselves correctly head hunger could diminish a great deal but may never go away.  Support Groups, therapy, OH, Etc etc etc  helps with the head thing when it comes to obsessive compulsive head hunger.   

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

cozmo98
on 9/28/11 2:51 pm - GA
I had my surgery 4 weeks ago and I'm never hungry. Sometimes I realize its noon and I haven't eaten. I have to be careful to make sure I eat because I know my body needs it but between water and shakes I almost forget to eat. I have trouble wanting to eat bad stuff because people around me are but it doesn't even taste good anymore. The weight drops and you care less and less about junk food
ozthewiz
on 9/28/11 7:13 pm, edited 9/28/11 7:29 pm - IL
VSG on 09/28/17
 the sleeve is your best bet on that one. ask your doctor because they cut out the part of your stomach that produces the hungry hormone. Ive been told that sometimes you even have to put an alarm clock to remind you to eat.

good luck

edited.............That is what I was reading but some say other.

I guess you should ask your doctor and see whats best for you
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 7:23 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Just to say your comment is *not* true for everyone.

Your body has multiple places where it makes ghrelin, not just in the stomach.  I never stopped getting hungry and there are many more like me - and its not just acid.

I have NEVER had to remind myself to eat. EVER.  Not even when I was sick.  This is not a problem or a deal breaker, I have reasonable hunger, and its satisfied with a reasonable amount.

Some people DO lose their hunger in the beginning, and then it comes back, some folks never have their hunger come back, some folks never lose their hunger.

Its a crap shoot about what deal you will get with your surgery package, but not everything that is in the glossy brochure holds true for everyone - such as - I, at 2 years out, STILL MUST have 3 to 4 shakes a day to keep my serum protein levels up.  By information given to us, this ought not be, but again, there are more who are like me, who DO eat ENOUGH protein, but do not process it properly after surgery so that it stays/we retain it/whatever phrase you want to use.

Just so you know going in and are not suprised if you do get hungry.  It happens.  Its not the horrible ravenous hunger like presurgery was for me, but its hunger, none the less.
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 7:45 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
And hey look, just so we can get this straight, you are absolutely not totally WRONG!!  :}  There is just additional information to be considered and shared for a complete picture!  We only know what we know, until we learn something else!

So, just know my caps were for emphasis, not for fussing! 

And here, for more "horses mouth" information, this is a thread that Mz Ann will paste about hunger, but this is the total thread.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/4445634/lov e-and-a-question/

In case it helps to answer any questions not addressed in the glossy brochure! 
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 7:30 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Your body has multiple places where it makes ghrelin, not just in the stomach.  I never stopped getting hungry and there are many more like me - and its not just acid.

I have NEVER had to remind myself to eat. EVER.  Not even when I was sick.  This is not a problem or a deal breaker, I have reasonable hunger, and its satisfied with a reasonable amount.

Some people DO lose their hunger in the beginning, and then it comes back, some folks never have their hunger come back, some folks never lose their hunger.

Its a crap shoot about what deal you will get with your surgery package, but not everything that is in the glossy brochure holds true for everyone - such as - I, at 2 years out, STILL MUST have 3 to 4 shakes a day to keep my serum protein levels up.  By information given to us, this ought not be, but again, there are more who are like me, who DO eat ENOUGH protein, but do not process it properly after surgery so that it stays/we retain it/whatever phrase you want to use.

Just so you know going in and are not surprised if you do get hungry.  It happens.  Its not the horrible ravenous hunger like presurgery was for me, but its hunger, none the less.

Craving foods is not about stomach hunger.  That's about head hunger.  The more I do not dabble in trigger foods in my every day breathing in and out life, the less I deal with cravings.  If you are hungry, REALLY hungry, then a piece of chicken, or a hard boiled egg is going to fix it.  If you are HEAD hungry, then nothing is going to fix it but *insert food here.*

Folks with gastric bypass - some get hungry still, some do not.  You will have to ask them for specifics.

If you have bad habits with food those things are not going to be fixed with surgery.  You can count on surgery to give you a smaller capacity for food for the first year, (depending on what you are eating) but while for your first year 90% is your sleeve and 10 percent is you (although, I think I would give my sleeve that much credit IF I was only feeding it dense protein) when you get further out - for the most part its 10% sleeve, and 90% you. 

A lady posted here that she is satisfied with 2 nuggets and 2 tablespoons of au gratin potatoes and that is true for her and that rocks for her, but that is not true for EVERYONE. 

You might just get hungry, and food cravings come back for a LOT of us, and we needed to learn different ways to structure how we ate.  For some folks, being heavy was *just* about portion control.  For some of us?:  We have a host of reasons we got heavy, and it takes a host of resetting things to keep us where we want to be at maintenance. 

For some of us its the hardest work (the head/emotional stuff) that we will ever have the privilege of doing. 

Definitely go ask on the Roux-en-Y board and let them share their experiences with you too!  Good luck girlie!
Happy966
on 9/28/11 10:03 pm

I am only a month out, but I started having hunger again as soon as I started eating purees.  It is not like before, and it is satisfied by a much much smaller amount of food.  But I get hungry every day.  Like 99% of all the normal folks I know. 

I was hoping my hunger would go away after surgery.  It did not.  But I am able to satisfy it with less, and it doesn't make me feel like killing whoever is standing between me and the food.  Like it used to.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active