A Tip for Pre Ops----Tracking

Elaine2
on 10/4/11 4:27 am - Atlanta, GA
As you go through the process leading up to your surgery, you'll probably read allot of posts and pick up on the fact that planning, preparation and TRACKING are integral to your success. I just thought I would take a moment to comment on tracking. I'm a little obsessive about it which is why I decided to post this. This is all just my opinion!

Several new post-ops have recently expressed the fact that they didn't track and are now starting. That's great but why not start out this way??

This is something that you can start today whether or not your surgery plans come to fruition. It's something that non-surgical family members and friends can use to maintain or lose just a few pounds.

WHERE TO TRACK?
--There are lots of free sites. I use myfitnesspal. For those with phones, it has a phone app. But there is a site here on OH, livestrong, fitday, sparkpeople and more. Give yourself time to find an application that you like and can live with.
--Plus, at worst, a paper and pen works, too.

WHEN TO START?
--I would start now.
--Get in the habit.
--Get to know your software.
--Regardless of your current food plan. No plan? It might be interesting to see your consumption in black and white.

WHY TRACKING?
--If your trying to follow calories, protein, carbs, fluids (maybe even fats, exercise), it can get a little mind-blowing.
--Plus we (I) have often lied to ourselves about what we consume. If you're working with software, it's just you and the PC.
--We often under value the calories/protein/carbs of a food item. Calories add up quickly. This helps you learn the stats on foods
--You can use it to plan out meals and forecast some meals if you're going out or to an event.

WHY NOT TO TRACK?
--No time---sorry but I don't buy that. It takes about 15 mins to set up your new software with goals, etc.  It literally takes less than 5 minutes a day to enter your foods.
---Can't think of another reason

So many pre ops ask---What could I do now in preparation?  I think this is a place to start.
As a post op, I'm looking at doing this even in maintenance. I'm not sure how many vets still track but, in my case, I don't see ever stopping this process. It's just too easy and beneficial.

Heidilacy
on 10/4/11 5:04 am - OH
Thanks for the info with my surgery date coming up 11/30/2011 I am trying to read and remeber all this stuff and I agree tracking is best done even starting now :) Thanks Again I can wait to track and start the journey to the hidden me :)
kimbethin
on 10/4/11 5:14 am - CA
I agree.  Pre-op is also a good time to start an exercise plan.  Start small and work your way to more advanced as you progress.  It will make it easeier to get into that routine post-op-Kim
putting one foot in front of the other...        
katier825
on 10/4/11 10:59 am
Great post!  It helps to get any manually added items input before surgery...it makes it that much easier after.  Plus it gives you time to adjust to the software.  I stated with SparkPeople, but switched to MyFitnessPal, which I like better.

I made it to my goal in June and still track.  I plan to continue to do so.  I'm just not good at estimating portions...they tend to "grow" after a while.  The only time I don't is if I'm traveling without my computer.  I do try to get in and do it after the fact, but it isn't always as accurate as if I were entering it realtime.