Seeking advice from the VSG vets

Marisa_21
on 10/6/11 1:53 am - CA
So I am now 1 week post-op and I am doing a lot better than I was last week but I am still sore and I find myself getting tired pretty quickly . Also, I lost 7 pounds from the morning of surgery to a couple of days ago but for the past 2 days I have not lost an ounce. I know it's only been a week since surgery and I can't expect to have lost 40 pounds by now I guess I am just wondering if this is normal or should I be seeing more steady weight loss at this point? and if it is normal, when can I expect to really start seeing the numbers on the scale drop? I have been doing everything right so I am not worried about that I just want to know if I need to be patient or if there is something I should be doing to excelerate my weight loss. I am also aware that everyone is different but I also noticed that I am a bit hungry at certain times throughout the day. I'm not sure if maybe I am just thirsty or if it is psychological or what but I don't know if I should be concerned about that because even after I drink water or my protein shake I sometimes feel like I can have more. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone out there? Thanks

Marcia B.
on 10/6/11 2:04 am - CA
sounds very familiar and I only lost 12 lbs in the first 2 weeks... your body is healing takes time.  I felt very hungry in the first 2 weeks but kept drinking my water and having my soups and it passed but it seemed I was always munching on SF popsicles and SF Jello.  and I always felt hungry at first.  :) I think you are normal ;)

Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

slimcin
on 10/6/11 2:15 am - CA
I am a lil over 3 weeks out and have just been where you are at. I asked the same questions, I have only lost 8 lbs since my surgery and then hit a stall right before my  3rd week , gaining and loosing the same 2 lbs all week. First you are still very swollen inside, second you were probably pumped with fluids/IV - which your body still needs to let go of. Also, the hunger - it is head hunger ...it is the worst. Believe me - try and eat something when you experience "hunger". One of two things will happen, you will throw up or you will feel sick for hours. Head hunger goes away too. The most important thing is for you to do is stay hydrated(drink water, water, water and rest when the body is tired. Sugar free popsicles work like a charm too. I just walk  everyday for a half hour. But I was told tha****er and rest were the most important things in the first few weeks. Any day now we will both get up each day with a loss - our bodies just have to catch on. This has been proven by many of sleevers before us and I believe that it will be the same for us too. Hope you have a wonderful day.
Marisa_21
on 10/6/11 2:27 am - CA
Thanks so much for your replies! It made me feel a lot better to know I am not alone in this
SuperRN597
on 10/6/11 2:38 am
I guess I am considered a VSG Vet because I am 19 months out.  Read my blog on my page and you will see how it went for me.  The best and only advice I can give you is FOLLOW YOUR PLAN and BELIEVE that it works.  Your body will drop the pounds when it is ready and not a second before.  Make peace with this process, because if you don't, you will be frustrated far more than you need to be.  Do not get hung up on the numbers on the scale...I know, it is way easier said than it is to do...but it is doable.  Best thing I ever did was relax and know that I was following my surgeon's plan for me and had faith in it that it would work...it did and still is.  I have gone from 374 on surgery day to 184 today...my highest weight was 440+ (the scales only went that high...may have been more than that) and my consult weight was 398.5. 

As for the hunger, I was never hungry and very seldom do I get hungry now.  I eat pretty much on a schedule...that may be why I don't get hungry because my body knows when it is going to get more fuel.  I do find that I drink a lot of water when I do feel a little hungry and the hunger goes away.

Follow your plan and go with the flow.  Make sure you are making your numbers (Protein, carb, cal, water) exercise as you can and the rest will take care of itself.  Just have faith and believe in the plan.  It really does work, I am living proof.  Best of luck to you.
 Sharon 
Consult date 1/11/10   Weight 398.5     Surgery date 3/1/10  Weight 374
HW 400+     CW 196.6    Dr. GW <200   My GW 150

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op