Newbie...have some questions??

RPrice85
on 10/8/11 1:28 pm - MI
Hi, I haven't had my surgery yet, but hoping it gets scheduled in the next month or so! I have a little boy who is 3 1/2yrs and one of my worries is for after surgery what to do for dinner? I mean I am the one that cooks usually...occasionally my fiance will...lol  and I do all of the grocery shopping. So, I'm concerned how this will affect grocery shopping and family meals. What were some things that some of you did? Obviously I am not going to feel like making food that I can't eat or don't want to eat, but my family still has to eat. How has the surgery changed the way you shop for the household? Do you get them "there food" and then get "your food"? How does that all work? Also, how soon did some of you return to work? We are already on a tight budget and I don't get paid time off so I want to take as little time off as possible. I am thinking 1 1/2-2 weeks and then back to work! Some feed back would be great...thank you!
5'5" 26yrs old HW:288, SW:253, CW:225; Lost 35lbs pre-op, Mo1: 21lbs

newme2011-2012
on 10/8/11 1:39 pm
Funny ...I have a hubby and 2 teenage daughters and my hubby doesn't cook ...At all.. So we were talking about it the other night...I am going to buy some heat and eat meals as they all are old enough to heat them.. For the first few days..But as I was washing the dishes tonight I was thinking about this.. And as a "MOM" it is my job if you will to fix some sort of nourishment for my family and that is how I am going to look at it... Not sure if this helps you or not.,. No one else has the weight issue I do so I feel like why should they "suffer" because I can't deal with food... So after i am feeling better that is my plan....just part of my duties so to speak......
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

RPrice85
on 10/8/11 2:51 pm - MI
That's how I am kind of feeling...like why punish them and make them eat foods that they don't want to, just because I have to eat something different. Are meals are made up of alot of carbs now....bread, pasta's! It's what I can get my son to eat...he still isn't really big into eating a ton of meat. I mean I feed him what we eat, but he is still going to want mac & cheese, spaghetti, all of those things! I have always battled with this with dieting, just because I can't afford to buy my foods and then foods that the boys will eat!! I know I will hear about it too from both of my boys....like if I'm not able to eat something and I don't buy it for them. This is just one of my biggest worries about having the surgery!
Kayla M.
on 10/8/11 1:55 pm, edited 10/8/11 1:55 pm
Right now I have my own foods because I'm not up to eating chicken breast or steak and meats like that. So I keep a stash of "mommy food" in the pantry.
But in a few months when I'm able to eat my tiny portions of those items we'll all just eat the same thing.
Oh and my kids are 1.5, 6 and 7.

"Did you see that table full of meals?  I mean men!"
~Pat at KC and the Sunshine Band    
jovi_34
on 10/8/11 1:55 pm - TX
VSG on 10/11/11 with
Hi

I am having my surgery on the 11th, next Tuesday & in the beginning I thought the same thing also. I have a soon to be 2 yr. old & my hubby loves, loves home cooked meals. I do have my parents here from Florida for the first two weeks, but after that I have to cook. I figured if I could have cooked while on my pre-opt diet, I'll be okay. I think we all will be. Plus after the surgery I heard you really won't be hungry like we are now..lol I do plan on making my hubby & son "their food" & "my food" when I get to that point, or even try to incorporate my own touch to make it "our food". I actually am buying a WLS bariatric cook book, give me some ideas!!!

Good luck to you!!
susanraywilliams
on 10/8/11 2:08 pm
We have the same surgery date!

Good luck!

Susan

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

susanraywilliams
on 10/8/11 2:06 pm
Cook healthy for the whole family and eat what you are allowed to eat. It's a good time to change your family's relationship with food as well. My hubby lost 40lbs just on my changing how I cooked. My son, although never fat, lost more tummy flab. I have 2 young daughters as well. This is what I do know. I want my hubby around for a long time with me and I never want any of my children to have to fight obesity like I have. My children, my family, my responsibility to be a good example. I can't control everything they eat but I can at least encourage them to eat healthier meals by how I cook. Good luck and have a blessed one!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

edelu
on 10/8/11 2:14 pm - los angeles, CA
There was a posting on here for a cookbook whose premise was cooking and freezing.  some of the mom's were going to cook and freeze meals pre-surgery.  i guess if you can just do this for the first week, then you will be pretty back to normal with food prep the 2nd week,
RPrice85
on 10/8/11 2:55 pm - MI
Thanks for the input ladies...if there is anyone else that may have some suggestions or things that they have done feel free to chirp in!
Jeanne T.
on 10/8/11 11:53 pm
I'm planning on freezing several meals for them and then they will start to eat healthier.  They will be able to eat everything I eat only I will add some carbs to their meals, be it bread, potatoes or a different vegtable than I would have I think as was said before this is our chance as wives and mom's to be an example and keep our families from going through what we are. 

Blessings,
Jeanne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 278 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views